Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winn-Dixie Lump

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

I was walking thru a local Winn-Dixie yesterday and just happened to walk down the "BBQ" aisle and lo & behold look what I found.

P5160005.jpg

There are no markings on the bag to indicate who really makes it, but it does say "Made in USA". I used it last night for the dinner cook. It started real easy with minimal sparking, but seemed to burn pretty quick. I was cooking at 350+ for most of the cook, but it still seemed to not last as long as other lump I have used. The price was $5.99 for 8.8#'s.

Here is a pic of the top of the bag just after I opened it. There seemed to be plenty of decent sized pieces.

P5160008.jpg

I'll post pics of the dinner in a few minutes.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    That looks an awful like the lump that Kroger sells under their label. I tried it once and threw the rest out. It didn't burn long and put out a lot of ash.

Did your pieces of lump feel much lighter than other stuff you used?
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Chris:

Sorry about not replying sooner, went to see the grandson shortly after posting this.

The pieces felt very similar to the BGE lump I used to use. For the past few months I have been using Mali's Gourmet Lump because I could get it easily and at the best price. I'm using the W-D brand this morning to do a couple of Sausage/Cheese Bread rolls so I'll know better after that as to how it works.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL