Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

jambalaya?

Options
opod
opod Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody know a good jambalaya recipe? I was hoping to do some this weekend--put it in dutch oven and cook on the egg...

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    This one was posted by Chef Wil some time ago. He should know, he's a chef at a seafood restaurant in Lafayette, Louisiana. Pretty good one too.

Jambalaya – Chef Wil
    1 1/2 lbs. cubed pork
    1 lb. cubed chicken breast ( 3 or 4 )
    2/3 lb. smoked sausage, sliced ( 2 links )
    2 cups chopped onions
    1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup peanut oil
    4 cups long grain rice, raw
    3 bay leaves or 1 teaspoon ground
    4 teaspoons salt
    8 cups of Swansons chicken broth
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    Heat oil in cast iron pot,
    Saute pork, chicken, and sausage until browned, add onions, bell peppers, and celery, saute until veggies are tender and partially carmelized. Add all remaining ingredients except the green onions and parsley, cook on med-high heat until the rice has absorbed all the chicken broth. Stir in the green onions and parsley, reduce heat to low, and cook covered for 20 minutes. Let stand covered for another 15 minutes. Serves 8 people.

Hope it works for you.

Spring "Half Cajun, Half Redneck and Half Koonass" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is another:

Jambalaya, Couzan Billy's

I know there are many Jamba recipes out there. This one is unique in that you throw everything into the pot and cook. No making a roux, no browning the meat, no cooking the rice. It is ideal for doing on the grill. Matter of fact, I cook this for Friday night supper at the cook-offs! This recipe I adapted from one given to me by my good friend Bill Conklin…Couzan Bill, a real Cajun!

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb converted rice, uncooked
    1 can French onion soup
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1/4 lb butter, cut into pieces
    1 cup onions, chopped
    1/2 cup green onion, minced
    1 small green pepper, diced
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp crab boil
    2 Tbs Cajun seasoning
    2 Tbs Tabasco
    1 lb smoked sausage
    1 lb crawfish tails (or shrimp)
    3 pieces chicken breasts, cubed
    2 to 3 cups chicken stock

Preparation:
    1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or simply place pot on the grill.
    2 Combine everything in a 5-quart ovenproof pot. Start with 2 cups of chicken stock. Mix well. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours or longer.
    3 You may add more chicken stock based on the consistency you want.
    4 Stir before serving. Keeps well.

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ GURU

Source: BGE Forum, YB, 2006/02/11

From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ GURU

Larry is right in that this is a wonderful recipe and I do it often at contests but it is a closed pot recipe like most Dutch oven recipes and needs to be adjusted for the Egg if you do it there without a cover. If you plan to use a cover, there is no gain to using the Egg for this fine treat.

Ok, for the Egg with an open pot, change the 2-3 cups of chicken stock or broth which would be 16 to 24oz to about 70 to 84oz or about 5-6 cans of stock. With the lid off the pot, you will boil a lot of the liquid away. I also up both of the onions to 1-1/2 chopped, and the green to a full cup. Garlic from 3 cloves to about 6 cloves and the Cajun seasoning from 2 TBL to 3 TBL. I would also suggest that you use the crawfish and not the shrimp as it is a much better meal this way.

This needs to cook at a very low simmer for about an hour and time it when it gets to the simmer. It may take 2 hours to get to the simmer. In my cooker and with my setup, I can keep it at a low simmer at about 310 dome degrees.