Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork chops

Options
Smoking Bulldawg
Smoking Bulldawg Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked pork chops for the first time today. They cooked for several hours between 150 and 200 degrees till they reached a temp of 175 degrees. They tasted good, but were kind of dry. Should I have put a pan of water on the inverted stone? B)

Comments

• BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    Pulled at 160 might have made a difference.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I do these at a dome temp. around 400 degrees on a raised grid until internal temp. is 145 degrees. They're perfect this way......very moist and tender :lol:
  • Smoking Bulldawg
    Options
    Do you smoke on them or just grill?
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Our preference is just grilling, but, if smoke is your pleasure you can add chunks (preferable) or chips to the fire. Apple or pecan are good choices with these.....
  • Smoking Bulldawg
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. Since posting my question I have learned that pork is considered done between 150 and 160. I was using an electronic probe that would not alter the time below 170 so I figured that this was the target temp. B)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    When using one of those probes with the preset temps, just choose a meat that has a lower temp that you're looking for, for pork chops I would pull at 145, with a rest and carry over cooking will finish at 150. -RP
  • Smoking Bulldawg
    Options
    Excelllent idea. I must be thinking that the probe is smarter than it is. Thanks for the help!
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    Has anyone tried cooking a 3/4 to 1 inch chop like a steak?
    (1) Take chops out of frig 30 minutes before cooking. Season with salt, your favorite rub and a light coating of olive oil.
    (2) Set up for direct grilling.
    (3) After dome temp is ~ 700 degrees put chops in on side one for 90 seconds.
    (4) Turn and cook on side two for 90 seconds.
    (5) Turn back and close bottom and top. (6) Pull after three minutes and check internal temp using a Therapen - at 135 degrees these puppies are done. If not done put back on for two minutes. (7) Cover on warmed plate for five minutes and then serve.

It seems to me that the resulting seared surface and medium/rare inside would work as well for pork chops as it does for steaks. The speed of the cook should also prevent the chops from drying out. As a new egger, I am sure someone else has tried this. Were the results good or bad?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You are correct. -RP
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I've TRexed a few. They were fantastic. Pulled at 135 internal.

SteakChops024.jpg