Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt crusted beef tenderloin

Options
Cecil
Cecil Posts: 771
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used this method with a tenderloin?
If so how was it? Any pros/cons?

I am thinking of doing one for Mother's Day.

Thanks,
Walt

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I would suggest that you go to the Dizzy Pigs site and check out customer recipes which has the Mad Max roast tenderloin recipe.Proven product that is hard to beat.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I have done this several times with prime rib and in the oven. i would not see a benifit other than mess for doing outside. It does not come out salty.

3 or 4 bags rock salt
    1 rib roast

Layer salt in bottom of roaster to cover. Dampen with water in spray bottle. Season meat with Worcestershire powder and pepper.
    Place on salt, rib side down, cover with rock salt and dampen. Salt must cover meat on all sides to form a "seal".

Cook uncovered in preheated 500 degree oven 12 minutes per pound. Crack with hammer, clean off all salt. Slice and serve.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Works for me with a bone-in prime rib. Don't know why it won't on a tenderloin. Just keep a thermometer in the center and pull about 125 rare. or to your likening.

Beef, Prime Rib, Roast, Salt Crusted, Father's Day '07, Richard Fl

Was wanting an early Father's Day Salt Encrusted Prime Rib. Never did one on the BGE, but have done several over the years in one of those hot house ovens. Looked around the archives and used a combination of mine and a few others, especially Eggor- where you been buddy?

INGREDIENTS:
    1 4 3/4 Lb Prime Rib, 2 Bones
    Rub:
    6-8 Cloves Garlic
    Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    Cavender's Greek Seasoning
    3-4 Twigs Rosemary, Fresh, Leaves only
    2-3 Tbs Herbs de Provence
    Salt Coating:
    2 Cups Morton's Kosher Coarse Salt
    1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, EVOO
    1/2 Cup Water
    1/2 Cup Merlot red wine- DON'T MIX w/salt
    NOTE: Amounts will very depending on size of roast!
    PREP & Cooking Time Line
    1:30 PM Rubbed into Refrigerator
    4:30 PM Removed, Internal--50°F
    5:30 PM Dome 225°F, Internal--60°F
    5:45 PM Dome 250°F, Internal--64°F
    6:00 PM Dome 275°F, Internal--75°F
    6:15 PM Dome 300°F, Internal--90°F
    6:30 PM Dome 300°F, Internal--98°F
    6:45 PM Dome 300°F, Internal-107°F
    7:00 PM Dome 350°F, Internal-127°F
    7:15 PM Dome 350°F, Internal-135°F
    REMOVED & TENTED
    8:00 PM Internal 145°F Had Dinner!!

1 Rubbed the roast w/ EVOO and seasonings, cut slits in roast for garlic- the more the better and placed in refrigerator for about 3 hours. Overnight is ok. Considered inexpensive yellow mustard for rub to hold rub, but this time opted not to.
    2 Removed the roast from the refrigerator a couple of hours before cooking and let get room temp. Came out of refrigerator at 50°F internal and 1 hour later was 60°. Just liked the picture all seasoned up.
    3 Made a mixture of Morton's Kosher Coarse salt and some EVOO & water, just a little of each liquid. . Placed the roast in a metal pie pan w/some aluminum foil underneath it Poured 1/2 Cup Merlot in the pan under the foil. Cover the roast with the salt, bones down.
    4 Had Large BGE set up for indirect, plate setter legs up, no drip pan. Brought temp to 225°F, When reached added about 6-8 sprigs rosemary branches and 4-5 small pieces apple wood for flavor.
    5 Took 4 Baking potatoes and rubbed w/EVOO and a little salt. Placed on BGE w/ roast.
    6 BLANK
    7 BLANK
    8 BLANK
    9 Removed at 135°F, total cook time of 1 hour and 45 minutes and let sit covered in aluminum tent 45 minutes. Temperature rose while resting to 145°F This crowd of 4 likes the roast medium. Great timing.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/06/15

Note: We like medium meat so let stay until 135F. For more rare pull at 125-130F, your call. It rose 10F while resting 45 minutes.

BE SURE TO SCRAP SALT OFF BEFORE CUTTING AND SERVING!!

Next time will probably do without the bones to get a more even salt cover,
  • Cecil
    Options
    It looks like fun-wow factor of removing from salt encasement. (in thiscase a dough of salt and flour). I wonder if this will keep out a good smokey flavor.

Walt
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    I did this in the oven once. Personally the outside was really salty. It looked med-rare but when you tasted it, it was dry. I have never tried it again. It didn't ruin it and it looked pretty, I just didn't care for it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if it's not exposed to the smoke, it won't taste like smoke, so you would lose that aspect. smoke doesn't really 'penetrate' like folks might think (or hope)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cecil
    Options
    Thanks, that was my thought.

Walt
  • Cecil
    Options
    Thanks, I have about decided to not do this.

Walt