Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

moisture/mold problem

Options
robbe
robbe Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
with my work scheule, i am only able to use my egg every few weeks. lately every time i open the egg there is either moisture on all surfaces or mold on all surfaces. i usually clean it out with a rag. if its really bad, i will light the egg, and let the fire get rally hot to burn off anything i could not get with the rag. any ideas will be appreciated.
a little background on my egg
size small (i think)
no cover
its kept on my back deck where there is little to no shade.

thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    change jobs so you can egg more often ;)
    seriously, skip the rag and burn it off at 600 for 15 minutes after each time you cook.
    wiping the inside with ball of aluminum foil one it has cooled down should help too
  • ThinkandDrive
    Options
    I also have this issue some times. usually after it's been raining for a while.

I generally just fire things up and let it all burn off. Sometimes, I'll do this the day before I plan on cooking.

I have seen a suggestion to suspend a 40watt light bulb in the egg (I assume with no grate or plate setter, etc inside) and leave the 40watt bulb on for a while. I gather the heat and light are enough to dry out the egg and deter any mold. But I haven't tried this yet myself.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    They have small elements thats are specifically made for keeping safes dry (so no rust forms on your guns). I would buy one of these if burning it off for 15 minutes is not desired.

I would also recommend a little high temp after the food has been removed to ensure that there is not too much grease.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    They have small elements thats are specifically made for keeping safes dry (so no rust forms on your guns). I would buy one of these if burning it off for 15 minutes is not desired.

I would also recommend a little high temp after the food has been removed to ensure that there is not too much grease.