Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet mignon & accidental caveman style

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year, I bought a cast iron griddle at Lowes for about $12 (pre-egg) and haven't used it much except for one night when doing scallops on my old grill.

Tonight I found that it fit my large egg perfectly without the grate. So I fired the puppy up to above 550 (BGE therm died and waiting on 1000f Tel Tru) and preheated the griddle. (pic after cook)
100_8628Medium.jpg

I seasoned a few filet's with pepper and Billy Bones Beefmaster and planned to run them 90 seconds-flip, 90 seconds-flip, 90 seconds-flip and 90 seconds-flip (total cook of 6 minutes).

Only problem was on the third flip, one of the buggers jumped into the coals. I flipped the others and then went fishing after the prodigal filet. I assumed he was charred to a briquette by now but wanted to get it out, just to prevent a grease fire.

I was amazed to find that filet was done about the same degree as the others and wasn't charred. I took it for my steak and did not bite into anything like ash or debris.
100_8625Medium.jpg
I might have to try this "caveman" style steak cook after all!
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    They sure look mightyfine. How did they come out, Medium, Medium Rare?
  • Essex County
    Options
    Nice setup for searing. I've only had the guts to do an on-the-coals cook a couple of times. Once with a boneless leg of lamb and the other with a flank steak. Both times, the meat was awesome. But it would be hard to do the 90 second flips without some welding gloves if you were cooking on the coals.
    Paul
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Nice fit on the griddle and nice looking cook.

After frying 2 gaskets, my Trexing has been done directly on the coals many a time. I now have the spider and that makes a nice platform for Trexing.

GG
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Welcome my new nuckle draging follower! The lump doesn't have the grit in it like bricketts do. My wife is a clean FREAK! I call it a "crack" problem as she is almost neurotic about cleaning and sanatation. Even she loves it when my inner caveman comes out! B) Toss you a chunk of wood on for eack stake a min b4 you put the meat down and knock the ash down right b4 also.

AFOODMIDAPRIL017.jpg