Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan Help

Happy Hog
Happy Hog Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Drip Pan Help!

Hey Guys,

Soon will be doing my first low & slow on my new XL BGE
Have done lots of cooks on my large egg and used a foil roasting pan as a drip pan.
I have not be able to find a pan that will work with the XL platesitter because of the short legs on it. I Would like to find a pan that would cover all of the platesitter and sit on the platesitter legs up, without interfering with the grid and at least 1 inch deep. Anyone in Eggland have a solution?
I have the Half Moon Raised Grid for XL EGG, with Drip Pan. Would two of these be side by side be alright

HMRG_Parts_000.gif

Also if learning curve on the XL is different from the large what do I need to know?

One more Question. How many boston butts can be done on the XL Egg

Thanks,
Happy Hog

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I don't have an extra large but I always make my own out of HD Aluminum foil. Just make sure you make it sturdy if you are going to put any liquid in it.
  • Check out eggcessories.com

With their XL flip ring combo you should be able to fit 6.
  • HD foil works fine. Plus easy clean up! ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I cheated with my XL before I got some new stainless toys from Tom.
    Try plate setter legs up with 3 small pieces of brick next to each leg to hold up your XL grate. This will give you plenty of room for a drip pan and keep the very hot plate setter further from your food so it does not cook from the bottom up and increase your air flow around your Meat as well.. I just wrapped the brick pieces in foil. Even three rock of about the same size and shape will work. I have even used wook chunks wrapped in foil as spacers. It's all good.
    Give it a try,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I used to put the plate setter between the fire box and fire ring to get more clearance between the setter and the grate.

I have since purchased the XL hanger from eggaccessories and like that solution much better. I had an old deep dish pizza pan that I use for the drip pan. I cover it in HD foil.

With that setup, I do not ever have the fire go out and I can add wood chunks if I want to over the course of the cook.

I am sure the plate setter works well also but I thought that having the plate setter so close to the grate caused the grate temp to be higher than I wanted.

Good luck!
    BHD
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I feel the same.
    Need more space between setter and grate. Gets to hot on the bottom of the food for low and slows. I did get great results with wings. I did cook one time with the plate setter between box and ring. To hot and dangerous to move this system around if needed.
    I now use Tom's hanger and ring. It's the most practical system I have found. I still use 3" fire brick spacers in a pinch and at friends house to raise grid.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    It doesn't exactly address your question...but if you look in the cooks section of my website at the "pulled pork on the XL" you will find an awesome alternative to indirect with a drip pan on an XL...let me know if i can offer any details..