Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size dutch oven?

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a buddy heading past the Lodge store and he is willing to pick up a dutch oven for my large. What size fits best and what else would be nice to have from Lodge? TIA!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,851
    Options
    i like my #12 DEEP camp style with the legs best out of the ones i have. the camp style have a smooth inside on the cover that can be used for cooking. make sure its the deep style whichever you get.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have the 5 qt & 7 qt and use them both. I also have 2 Lodge loaf pans for bread & meatloaf. I have the 15 1/4 skillet that I cut the handle off of that I use for burgers, fish, sauages, breakfast etc....I want a 3 qt for my Small BGE...Bass Pro also has good prices on them...
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    What fishless says is exactly what I have and for the same reasons. If you can tell them to bring you a lid lifter and a couple lid trivets. The lid trivet is the best thing I have found for having a safe place to set the hot platesetter.
    Tom
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    mini085.jpg

lamb004-1.jpg

eggstuff007.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEXR0K

the little pots are great to put left over mashed in and put in the egg.
    the five qt was big enough for my needs and the top works as a skillet with out having to cut a handle off
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Hey Todd,

I have the Lodge 7qt and it fits just fine in the large, even on a raised grid.

It doesn't have the smooth lid like fish said, but it is a good DO for chili, stew, etc.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Forgot to add, if you want a billy bar they normally sell them up there at the Lodge outlet in Commerce as well (assuming that is the store you are talking about). It is a nice little tool for getting all the crusties off.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i think i have a 5qt you also might want him to look for something like this

04-07-2008002.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Mine is 10 1/4 quarts and fits my medium perfect.
    NEW08004-2.jpg
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I have a Medium Egg and the 5 Qt works great for me. I guess the number of folks you usually cook for is the best way to decide. It's just the wife and I here.

Here's how it fits on a medium...

cid_E7B2A833E0B94F13A093DD5E2224-1.jpg

If I need more, I use a 9 QT LeCreuset which still fits alright on a Medium.

DSCN3284.jpg

Lodge is a great product. Really glad I got one. I'm making French Onion Soup in it right now.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2261.jpg
    My 9qt. fits well for me.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    What size dutch oven for a mini BGE
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What size dutch oven for a mini BGE
    A really small one. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Not a fan of raw cast iron for soups, braises and stews... swing by TJ Maxx and get a cheap ass enameled dutch oven, doesn't matter what brand, and you'll save yourself a lot of time not worrying about that precious seasoning. If you hit up a Home Goods in a nice part of town you can find Staub and LC for a fraction of the price... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I have two  5qt double dutch that meet 90% of my needs.  Plus, one fits in the woo in the minimax so thats nice for french fries.   Two side by side in the xl , one with broccoli cauliflower mix and the other with sourdough bread baking.   

Id like a bigger one but the double dutch has become a staple in my cooking go to toolbox . The lid is a great sear and broiler pan for oysters and steaks in the roccbox, or as a sear pan in bge.

I take at least one on every roadtrip as it comes in super handy
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,372
    Options
    5 qt
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    I have a Lodge store in Sevierville Tennessee minutes from my house. You go and write down what you like. Then drive to Johnson City Tennessee to Academy Sport and buy it there. Always 1/3 cheaper at Academy 
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium