Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Flashback Bob, stike, others north of Boston

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped in at the True Value store in Stoneham last weekend and gave them an earful about no longer carrying Royal Oak. They told me to try a bag of the stuff they now carry: Milazzo Qik Joe Lump Charcoal ("It's the same SKU.") and to tell them if I didn't like it.

Ok, I've tried it twice. My bag had a number of large pieces (unlike the bag TNW reviewed). It burned a little smoky for the first 30 minutes but after that, it was fine. I've done chicken and pork so far. Good smoky flavor without adding wood.

Maybe this will work after all.

Paul

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    i used to burn the quick joe from true value up here, had to buy atleast 10 bags for them to order it for me. it used to be board scrap lump but the last review i saw said it was regular lump, is it board or chunk. it was a fast burning lump like cowboy at the time. cooked fine though, no real complaints
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Essex County
    Options
    It's chunk. It has a few uncarbonized pieces mixed in. I don't mind that and hold those out until I'm ready to cook. I'm guessing the whole bag may be a little bit underdone given the smoke it gives off at the start. The bag is the same size as a bag of Royal Oak. Good density.
    Paul
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Have you guys ever thought of getting Wicked Good from Fred's Franks? He buys by the palette and somewhere I heard he's sell to "us".
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I buy WGWW in Hollis, NH.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hey Paul,
    I tried that stuff once and wasn't really impressed. It seemed smokier and I paid close to $9 for a 10lb bag (that's all they had) when I was paying $12 for a 20lb bag of R.O. Plus I was probably a little miffed because I don't like it when a substitution is forced on me.

Over the past couple years I have tried the other lump they have and like it ok (Natures lump or something like that?) but it seems to burn slow. usually has big chunks though.

I have thought about asking Fred, but I think he did do that for awhile but it wasn't worth the trouble for him.