Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
Snuffy
Snuffy Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new and wanting to try a pork butt. My longest cook has been 2 hours on some chicken. From everything I read a 9 pound butt can take up to 18 hours to cook. Is it safe to put it on at night and go on to bed once the temp is stableized??? What is a good rub to try??? I have some Willinghams and some Dizzy dust but I'm not opposed to trying something different. How much lump do I need to put in for a 12 to 18 hour cook??? Any other help will be appreciated. I plan to cook it at 275 to 300 dome till its 190 internal.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I've always liked Dizzy Dust on my butts, but John Henry has some good rubs, too, like his Pecan Rub.

Be sure to fill your Egg up to the top of the fire ring (not the fire box!) to ensure you have enough lump. Some "build" their lump fires with the large pieces on the bottom. I've found this does tend to make them burn longer. The method is over at the Naked Whiz's site.

My experience is that a dome of 275* will bring your cook time down to about 1.5 hours per pound. You can definitely cook overnight, but I wouldn't trust the Egg to not drift over a medium-term period (3-4 hours) without a Guru or Stoker, so set your alarm and make an adjustment, if necessary.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    On a butt I use lysanders pork rub personally, there are hundreds of choices. Keeping temp without a controller is very difficult for 10 plus hour cooks so far in my early experience...I'm saving my pennies for one of those guru wireless devices personally so I can, as Ronco says, "set it and forget it."
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yes you can sleep if you are sure the temps are stable.

I like to mix Dizzy Dust and John Henry's Pecan Rub

Fill it with lump to at least the middle of the fire ring - the uppermost ceramic internal part.

250-270 dome is a better range to shoot for in my opinion.

Good Luck.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    What size egg are you going to cook on?

Here are three that work well and by all means there are more.

Thirdeye - http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/02/pork-pork-shoulder-butt-picnic.html

Celtic Wolf - how to - http://www.celticspiritbbq.com/methods/pulledpork.html

The Naked Whiz Site (two methods) - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#pork

The egg is more than capable to do long cooks without powered vent system (guru or stoker).

Make sure you build a good fire. There are several sites to include The Naked Whiz's site.

I have a large and make sure the egg is cleaned of ash. If I have old cool lump in the egg I do leave it, however, I would suggest you remove it and store it for later use.

Put some larger pieces on the bottom then as you fill the egg you can use some of the smaller pieces. For this cook I would fill the lump to about 1/2 up into the fire ring, I have gone higher at times.

My preference is to light the egg in three places. 3, 6 & 9 oclock about 1 to 2 inches in from the outer edges of the egg.

As the temp increases begin to close down the vents as you approach your desired cook temp, 250° to 275° dome.

Make sure the smoke burns clear and your egg is stabilized. I would watch the egg for 30 minutes or so to make sure the egg is dialed in. The vent setting on my large would be 1/8 to 1/4 open on the bottom, top vent slider closed and pettles about 3/4 to full open.

Put the funiture into the egg for indirect cooking, don't touch the vents and let the egg again stabilize.

If at this time your temp is correct as previously set you should be ready to put the meat on and begin your cook. I usually check the temp several times through the night when I am not using a powered vent system.

Let us know the cook comes out.

GG
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    The amount of lump you need is relative to what size egg you have. I have a large and I can go 18 and have lump left over when I fill to near the top of the fire box (lower section). I usually go to bed by 23:00 hrs and wake up at about 06:00 hrs. and things are fine. I have had to make adjustments after that. I think some ash may have settled during that time and changed the airflow.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    further note... The powered vent systems are nice but if you don't builed a good fire the vent systems can have a vertical burn and problems can also come up.

I would suggest you get a $35 Maverick ET-73 or something like this. This unit has a wireless receiver, 2 probes, one for meat and one to monitor how hot the grid is (pit temp). Alarms for the fire (too high or too low) and an alarm in case the food gets too high.

Setting the alarms properly will also allow you to get some sleep.

GG
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I have found the egg to hold temps exceptionally well for long cooks. I do not own a guru but then I don't sleep the whole night thru so checking on the temp is not an issue for me.

I have been using warrior charcoal and if, as mention, you fill to the top of the fire ring it should burn 20 plus hours.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Here is my FAQ on the subject

Pulled Pork