Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Recipe

Options
Salty Dog
Salty Dog Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I took a shot at making pizza for my second cook. They came out...OK..... The crust was much better than anything I ever accomplished in the oven, so I can see the potential here, but not they were not all that I hoped. The crust was a little thick and more like a cracker than a bread, and the toppings seemed a little bland. The pizza guy down the road isn't losing any sleep so far....
I held the BGE at 500F with the stone on the plate setter and baked for about 15 minutes.
I like "New York" style pizza. I'd love to hear some "pizza success" stories and recipes. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Don't fret, but maybe try a "pre-cooked" dough once or twice until you get the toppings to finish the way you want, and then graduate to uncooked dough. Below is my Chicken Bobo pizza (blog entry at) http://bigtsbge.blogspot.com/2008/03/chicken-bobo-pizza.html
    Pizza on the Big Green Egg is as close to brick oven pizza as you can get without the brick oven. This recipe is a slight variation on the Chicken Bobo, uses less cheese, substitutes green onions for chopped white onions and adds Roma Tomatoes. It still utilizes store bought ingredients and doesn’t require you to prepare pizza sauce and with NO LOSS OF FLAVOR OR ENJOYMENT.

Ingredients Recommended
    2 Chicken Breasts – Boneless, Skinless
    1 12 “ Boboli Pizza Crust Regular not Thin
    1 Pkg. Boboli Pizza Sauce (1/2 cup)
    ¾ Cup Mozzarella Cheese – Shredded
    2 Cups Colby-Jack Cheese – Shredded
    Shaker Shredded Parmesan Cheese Kraft
    Bunch Green Onions (5 medium)
    ¾ Large Green Pepper
    ½ cup Sliced Olives with Pimentos
    Olive Oil
    4 cloves Garlic

Preparation and Cooking Directions

1) Remove Grill and Preheat and stabilize Big Green Egg to 400 degrees.
    2) Insert Diverter rack and stabilize temperature.
    3) Slice VERY thin all vegetables and set aside (use a ceramic slicer to get them paper thin), you’ll have to slice the Roma tomatoes with a knife to get them really thin without smashing them
    4) Slice Chicken breasts into quarters and brown in Olive Oil and garlic until 98% done (juices will be running)
    5) Remove from heat and dice, set aside.
    6) Place Boboli Crust on a BGE Pizza Stone
    7) Rub Olive Oil on crust then spread Boboli Pizza Sauce evenly
    8) Add 3/4 cup of Mozzarella Cheese, Chicken and 1 cup of the Colby Jack Cheese
    9) Layer on the remaining vegetables and cover with remaining Colby Jack Cheese
    10) Sprinkle Parmesan Cheese (to taste but fairly heavy).
    11) Top with the sliced Olives and Pimentos
    12) Place in Big Green Egg, Close Cover and cook for 18 minutes and DO NOT PEEK!
    13) Open BGE, slice with pizza cutter right on the Pizza Stone and serve directly to plates.
    DSC06357.jpg
    DSC06364.jpg
    DSC06358.jpg
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Here's my corrected dough recipe. Adapted from Tom Lehman, the NY pizza guru. Water at 9.8 oz not 9.5
    Measuring by weight gives more consistency to repeated success.

NEW YORK PIZZA DOUGH

15.5 OZ BREAD FLOUR
    9.8 OZ WATER AT RM TEMP 78*
    0.30 OZ SALT (about 1.25Tsp)
    0.25 OZ SUGAR (about 2 Tsp)
    1.25 Tsp OLIVE OIL
    1/2 Tsp + Pinch INSTANT DRY YEAST (can use rapid rise)

MAKES 2 - 12" PIES

Bake on bge @ 500* 8-12 min.
    Use pizza stone

Put water, salt, and sugar into bowl of stand mixer, stir to dissolve. Combine flour and yeast, gradually add to bowl, using dough hook at low speed. Add rest of flour , continue about 2 min. , add olive oil and knead until incorporated into dough ball. Knead 5 minutes total. Remove from dough hook, divide into 2 equal parts, shape into rounds and place in oiled containers. Cover and refrigerate 24-48 hrs.
    For use, remove from container, dust with flour, cover with cloth allow
    2-3 hrs for rm temp. Shape, dress & bake.

Sauce: Still a work in progress.
    Good Luck
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Hang in there Salty and keep experimenting..in the last year I have probably made more pizza on the egg than any other one thing..they are wonderful if you like pies and once you get the hang..there are hundreds of great recipes out there that are easily adaptable to the egg..I am out of town and dont have access to my recipes or photobucket or I'd post some for you..but I've made everything from traditional pies with homemade sauce and dough to bbq pizzas, and white pizzas with a flour based sauce, egged chicken breast, spinach and mushrooms..all are delicious...I did see a good idea..try some of the pre made doughs first such as Mama Mary's or others and focus on the cooking process, egg setup, and sauce/ingredients first..then graduate to the home made doughs...
  • Salty Dog
    Options
    I'll give it a try, thanks.
  • Salty Dog
    Options
    wow...... that sounds GOOD....
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. Thanks for the recipe.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I purchase the dough from a local pizza place howeve I think I will now begin to make my own.

I make my own sauce as we like the flaavor better. I use crush tomatoes, garlic, onions, Italian seasoning cook for about an hour to cool.

As for toppings just about anything I particularly like shrimp, pinapple, onions, sausage, mushrooms, chiken and pepperonni but not all at one time.

I cook at 450 to 500 using a place setter legs down with BGE pizza stone
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Here is a link to dough recipe I like to use. New York style

Keep looking here I have some photos I still have to download. Once you see the camera icon on this post, come back and take a look. I'll edit this post to show the photos, should be about 10:00CDT

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I usually use premade dough from Tader Joes, we all seem to like it ;) If you want to get crazy here is a site that has alot of NY style dough and pizza info. :ohmy: B)
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/
  • Have made pizza several times using local pizza shop dough. Having a very difficult time getting them to the pizza stone after they are made. Have tried cornmeal on the bottom of the dough as well as flour. Cornmeal burned and flour did not make it any easier to get on the stone. Wound up folding pizza up then placing on pizza stone and unfolding. Pizza did not turn out pretty but did taste good. Suggestions???
  • Salty Dog
    Options
    We have a Trader Joe's in the neighborhood and like most of their stuff. I'll give that a try. thanks for the tip! :)
  • Salty Dog
    Options
    Mike,
    You have it DOWN!! That pizza looks just right.