Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast/Prime Rib

Options
omahaegger
omahaegger Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I've relatively new to the egg world. I've had my egg for about 2 months, I've done a couple briskets and a butt and misc. burgers and steaks. But anyways, I want to try something new. I want to try a Standing Rib Roast/Prime Rib on it.

First question, what cut of meat do you use for this?? (Yes I know I'm a newbie) And how much do those usually sell for per lbs, just for planning purposes?

Second question, I've seen the recipes on NakedWhiz and thirdeyes and they don't seem to be too bad. Does anyone have a recipe they recommend?

Thanks for the help in advance

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The Mad Max method on the naked whiz site is very good and easy to follow. Many people prefer an end sear method, but I am a fan of the beginning sear method. Either will give you really good results.

You want to get a bone-in rib roast/standing rib roast. It should sell for around $6 per pound choice grade, maybe $9-11 per pound if prime grade.

The bones should be separated and tied back on. Once your roast is done put the ribs back on at 250 for another 60-90 minutes and you will have a really good treat for the next day.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here is one looks great::: julie can cook ;)

Beef, Prime Rib, Roast, Julie

I just made the most perfect Rib Roast of my life. My family also agrees. It was cooked perfectly, evenly pink throughout the roast and so moist and tender. I used a technique of roasting that Alton Brown demonstrated on "Good Eats" last week and some seasonings Bobby Flay uses on steaks.

Seasoning:
    1 Tbs kosher salt
    1 1/2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp Hungarian paprika
    1 tsp finely ground coffee
    4.5 lb rib roast - bring to room temp.

1 Rub roast with olive oil and coat with seasoning 1/2 hour before roasting. Place roast on a rack in a small pan or pyrex baking dish.
    2 Prepare Egg to a temperature of 250 degrees and place a platesetter in the egg for indirect cooking.
    3 Roast the rib roast at 250 degrees to an internal temperature of 117 - 118 degrees. Remove roast and cover with foil and rest until the internal temperature reaches 128 degrees (takes about 15 - 20 min.) In the meantime - increase the temperture of the egg to 450 -500 degrees. Return the roast to the egg and cook for an additional 10 min. Cover with foil again and rest for 10 min or so and enjoy!
    4 Total cooking time from start to finish was about 3.5 hours.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Julie

Source: BGE Forum, J Appledog, 12/11/02

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    First go to the store and get a Rib roast :laugh: I get bone-in, I generally buy them 2 or 3 at a time. I just wait for the sales as they can get expensive. I just bought 2 this week for 3.99/lb. Great price if you ask me ;)B)
    The method I have used in the past work pretty well. First set up your egg with plate setter legs up and drip pan on top. I do not have a V-rack but it would be handy. Get your egg up to 425 dome. Cook roast for 45 minutes then drop temp in your egg to about 325 until you hit your desired doneness. I like mine med-rare. That is an internal temp of 135. Make sure you let the roast rest for about 15 minutes before slicing. Ohh almost forgot :lol: I season mine like this.
    1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    Mix together to make a paste then rub on all sides of the roast. Make a few slits in the roast and insert 4-5 cloves of garlic in random spots about 1 inch into the meat. ;)B)
  • omahaegger
    Options
    I'm gonna just have to go to a couple stores and check out what's available. I called the grocery store I normally go to and the meat dept guy said they'd cut me whatever size for $12.99 a lbs. I found one other for $8.98 a lbs, so getting more reasonable. I'll just have to see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

I'm assuming when you guys find the better prices it's a precut roast, or are they cut for you by the meat dept??
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I usually buy mine precut. On special occaisions or holidays I will have the butcher cut one for me. :);)B)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Once you get over the sticker shock, a standing rib roast could very well be the easiest and most enjoyable cooks you can do.

Regardless of what method or technique you choose, the only time you should have a bad one is if you start with low grade meat or you overcook it. Try enough of them and you will figure out what you like.

A few pointers would be:

Try to buy a bone-in one
    Try to buy a choice (or prime) grade. I get mine at Sam's Club.
    Try to buy a 3 bone or larger
    Try to get one with some fat still left on
    Try not to over season them
    Try to allow time for the fire to get just right
    Try not to over cook them
    Try not to over smoke them
    Try to rest them at least 15 minutes before carving

Price wise, I pay from $11 to $15 per pound.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Here's one I did a few weeks ago. The roast was USDA prime for about $8.48/lb, and the bones were cut off and retied, making for a nice tasting roast, and also a nice treat after the bones have gone back and cooked for a little while longer:
    IMG_0045.jpg

Pretty simple seasoning:
    IMG_0047.jpg

Here's the sear up-front, as mentioned by Rod earlier:
    IMG_0049.jpg
    I got the SBGE up to 600 deg and put the roast on. Here's the finished product before it rested and was sliced up:
    IMG_0055.jpg

Inside shot:
    IMG_0056.jpg

Good luck with your roast, and I hope that you can find a good cut, too. Oh yeah, I cooked the roast at 250 deg until the internal temp was 125-130.
  • omahaegger
    Options
    One last question, I have some of the rub I use on my brisket, could I use that on the rib roast?? Or should I just go for the salt/pepper treatment?