Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lasagna

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made a couple pans yesterday. Screwed up the sauce enough times over the years, found how to get a great tomato based soup too. Oven cooked but next time, I'll try a pan on the egg. Good stuff!

lasagnapans.jpg

lasagnaslice.jpg
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Looks good Tom...I need to cook something in the rain here today.
    Larry
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Looks good Tom. I've made lasagna and Big Green Eggplant Parmesan often on the cooker. The tomato sauce takes a nice flavor from a little smoke (don't over do it). Mine has not been in the deep-dish pans, but that should not be a problem.

Just curious here.....Which is more popular at your place, wine or toast :laugh:
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I could go for some of that. Looks great Tom. Care to share the ingredient list?
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    looks great Tom...you gotta try it on the egg though..just as the egg improves mac n cheese, pizza, etc...lasagna on the egg is awesome...light on the smoke...apple, pecan, cherry maybe..I even do it in my wife's corning ware dish since with little or no smoke it doesn't mess it up too bad.. :blink:
  • tjv
    Options
    You have rain and I'm on yard clean up today. yard crew started at 7:15 couple houses down. thought there was a code with those guys, not before 8 am, LOL. T
  • tjv
    Options
    Just curious here.....Which is more popular at your place, wine or toast

BOTH
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Tom, that looks great. You are getting to be a real Pisan. Thanks again for the package this week.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Mike, I saw this on the Food Networks Guy's Big Bite and it looked real good. I have not made it yet but I am sure that it can work with little adjustments on the egg.

Blazy's Pepperoni Studded Lasagna
    Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri
    See this recipe on air Friday May. 02 at 2:00 PM ET/PT.
    Show: Guys Big Bite
    Episode: Pepperoni Lasagna
    Blazy's Pepperoni Studded Lasagna
    2 pounds lasagna sheets
    2 cups hand cut 1/8-inch slices pepperoni
    4 cups tomato sauce, recipe follows
    1 pound ricotta
    16 ounces shredded mozzarella
    2 pounds bulk Italian sausage, cooked
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Boil 6 quarts of water, add pinch of salt, and cook pasta to almost done. Remove from water and shock in ice bath.

In medium saucepan add pepperoni and saute over medium heat until crispy. Remove from heat and drain on a paper towel.

In a 10-by-14-by-3-inch baking pan or dish, pour 1 cup of tomato sauce in bottom and around sides. Layer lasagna sheets on the bottom of the pan, overlapping by 1/2-inch. Add 1/3 amount of ricotta, 1/3 amount of mozzarella, 1/3 amount of sausage, then sprinkle generously with the Parmesan, add 1/2 cup tomato sauce, and 1/4 cup of pepperoni. Repeat this 2 more times.

On the very top sheet, top with remaining ricotta, tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, and dust with Parmesan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes. Remove from oven; let sit for 15 minutes. Cut and serve immediately.

Tomato Sauce:
    3 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
    1 yellow onion, minced
    5 medium-sized garlic cloves, crushed
    6 cups skinned and diced Roma tomatoes
    2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook over medium to low heat until transparent. Add garlic and cook until almost brown. Then add tomatoes and cook for 1/2 hour over low to medium heat. Add the basil and oregano and continue to cook for another 1/2 hour. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yum, lasagna ....definitely bake it in the egg .. .. but when you do, make your top layer sauce instead of cheese as the sauce won't absorb as much smoke as the cheese will .. . . good stuff!!. .. lookin forward to seeing you next week ... .

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg
  • tjv
    Options
    I've had the recipe since the early 1980s, never make it the same. I'll post this batch later today. T
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Thanks

I have some left over pepperoni and was thinking about using it in lasagna. This recipe just might work.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Looks great BTW.

You gonna stay around for awhile??? Lots of new ones who haven't heard your words of wisdom. I missed them as well.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    this was one of the best rustic egg cooks we've done. mushroom lasagna.
    lasagna.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I got to agree with max here. Just a hint of 'rustico' is the flavor your looking for. Who wants smoked lasagna after all.

Super clean burning fire and your on your way to good eats.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i'm always around, just haven't had too many pearls of wisdom to share lately... . finally getting excited about eggrest though!!.. . i've got a good dish planned. . . if it turns out good, i'll be posting about it next week .. .
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    that always looks wonderful. .. i have to try that sometime. .. btw. .why don't you sneak into sundown's trunk and make an appearance at waldorf next weekend?!?!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    exactly!!! :cheer:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i was going...
    it's my son's 8th birthday, and 1st communion. big party, going to the sox game, etc.

so waldorf fell off the radar..
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    understand.. . big family life events always come first .... although i don't know that i'd be putting the sox in front of egging :whistle: