Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All vents are closed!

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
and have been since 10:00 p.m. My egg is at 3oo degrees with my 8.5 pound butt inside
Lit my egg yesterday 6:00 p.m.
Was going to put the butt on direct,temp nesteled in at 275 with all vents closed!
put in plate setter, drip pan, and butt 240 degrees at 10:21 p.m. :)
My gasket fell off about a month ago and cooks have been going just fine, but I have not done any overnighters. I guess enough air is coming in aroung the lid. Just appears to be coming out around the back, like it always has.
1:47 a.m. temp 240 butt 127 degrees
5:00 a.m. temp 240 butt 133 degrees
7:30 a.m. temp 300 butt 136 degrees
Guess I will just let her ride, do not know what else to do. Big birhtday dinner tonight! Hope this make since. I have not gotten much sleep :sick:
Just checked it, over 300 put green cap on top!

Comments

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    I would think that it would all depend on the temp of the butt. If it is close to 200 hundred I would definely do it as it will take an hour or two for the egg to cool down and it will still cook the egg while doing so.

I have had one on since nine last night at around 250 and it is about the same size. The internal is at 197. so I have mostly closed my vents.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    The butt should have enough smoke by now, so you could stick it in a 240ish oven, then foil it from 180 to 200...

hth
    Big T