Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

paella????

Options
lowercasebill
lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well the pan and the rice arrived this week. hopefully the saffron will be delivered today and tomorrow night i will have pics. recommedations, advice or random musings on the topic will be appreciated
bill

caveman001-1.jpg

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    If you haven't seen TNW site. Click on the following link.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm

Hope this helps! :)
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here a few random thoughts that help me.

Rice, Paella, Richard

I have been doing paella since the '70's in a large Copco pan baked enamel over cast iron I bought in crate and barrel in chicago in the late '70's, but I have never written my favorite recipe 'cause I keep changing it..

1 Have not done it on my large BGE , but will get to it someday! Hope these ideas help.
    2 I like to do Spanish chorizo, chorizo is already cooked and I slice it about 1/4 inch thick and saute in the pan. Mexican chorizo is not cooked and I use it for mexican dishes, but not in paellas.
    3 Valencia or Bomba rice is preferred.
    4 Chicken broth, saffron in a little cup of broth to release flavors. frozen peas, sauted onions.
    5 When doing chicken, I prefer the drummette of the wing,sauteed to brown and crisp the skin before placing in pan.
    6 Clams placed with the hinge down during cooking, rotel tomatoes if you like the flavor.
    7 Shrimp I usually steam or boil away from the dish with a skewer run thru them and then use them, heads on if you can get them, The skewer keeps them from curling and with the heads on they look great hanging over the edge of the pan with their whiskers between the steamed asparagus.
    8 Red bell peppers long and skinny pieces for presentation, spread between the asparagus and shrimp.
    9 When the dish is ready For presentation, I will take steamed asparagus and place 8-10 in a radial pattern from the center,

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: Richard Howe, 1986/05/25
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    follow the Whiz's tutorial to the letter, and you'll have no issues...

after you add the rice, and quickly spread the rice around into an even layer, do NOT stir the rice again.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    Here is a link http://www.kitchenwindow.com/H_RecipePaella.asp.
    These folks are an egg dealer plus they are HUGE into pealla. I use this recipe and have beenvery happy.
    TTFN WLL
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    The rice is the key ingredient.....if good it should absorve all the good flavour and deliver it in your plate..... Where did you get the paellera (dish)?, aluminium?? stainless?? I´m thinking of getting one to fit my large since the ones i have are to big to fit inside.
    Good luck, will be specting your pics tonight.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I list a number of sources for paelleras on my web page. I think I've bought from 2 or 3 of them. Good luck!

Paella Web Page
    The Naked Whiz
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i got it from here and it is stainless. i ran out of kitchen space so all my egg stuff is stored in the garage and i did not want to deal with the rust issue of carbon steel
    service from this place was great, by the way
    bill
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Beli,

Here is one that I got that is 15 1/2" dia. It is a good fit on the egg. I'll look up the manufacturer tonight if you'ld like.
    005-1.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beli
    Options
    My respects for such an incredible web page, a wealth of information down to the point. TKS
  • Beli
    Options
    Sure, TKS Steve!!!
  • Beli
    Options
    Never seen so many paelleras together...even on a photo....TKS bill.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Never heard of such but sounds great. Looked at Whiz web briefly. Will try and do more latter tonight. Will you be including "toes" with your paella? B)
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I've only done it once so far, followed TNW's directions (from his website). Came out Perfect!!! But....... while doing the sofrito part, the tomato mixture reduces and thickens, takes quite a while, and on the egg, was directing a stream of 400* heat right up into my face the whole time. Couldn't seem to get away from it. It takes a fairly constant stirring, so you're there and can't move much. I vowed to do that part on the stove next time, but haven't made it again yet. Let us know how that part turned out. The rest of the process went well, and it really was lip-smackin good!