Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deli Roast Beef

Options
civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any tips on meat types and cooking methods to produce roast beef that can be thinly sliced and comparable to deli style meats?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy trs
    I do lunchmeat often for our twin teenagers (yep, they just turned 13...yowza). For beef I use eye round roast. I coat it with Cow Lick, or salt and pepper (be generous), then roast it indirect (300 is a good temp) to 120 internal. Remove and prepare your cooker for a hot sear at the end. Sear on all sides, rest, then slice thin and dump over the remaining juice. Good stuff.
    Have fun!
    Chris

PS, you could also use top or bottom sirloin.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i cooked this one around 275 direct, i like roast beef red and i also like a little fat on it, i think this was a 10 pound rump roast with the bottom, eye and top all attached. if you go direct you want only a half load of lump and a raised grill, if you go inderect you can cook it between 300 and 325 for descent results.

fbe40804.jpg

dont forget deli ham, dr chickens double smoked ham makes incredible sandwiches.

100_1352.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I do bottom round roast. It is a cheaper cut. I cook mine direct with a raised grid at 350. I turned them about every 15 minutes. It gives a nice char to it. I pulled them at 135 internal and double wrapped and put directly in the fridge. They have a lot of juice which I skim and save for serving. It sliced real thin and makes great sandwiches & fajitas.

I rubbed it with Slap Yo Momma... it is a spicy (hot) rub...but it mellows over time...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i cook them like that also, but you will get a different texture if you cook below 300 on that bottom round, give it a try sometimes. its the difference between a pit beef and a deli, i like them both.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    I've done rump roast a couple of times that turned out well. Lots of cowlick, then indirecf at 350 til 125 internal. you'll need a slicer to get it thin. Grain tends to turn alot so thin slicing is a necessity. lots of beefy flavor, nice and juicy
    -mike