Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky

Options
RedFish
RedFish Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for any and all Beef Jerky info (times, temps, recipes, tips) for making it on the Egg. Thanks

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />Redfish,[p]I use the linked recipe for a base for my jerky. I add some teriyaki sauce, honey and a chipotle rub to mine. I dry it at 175* for about 6 hours on stacked, flat wire trays. After 2 hours I flip it and sprinkle on some more rub. After 4 hours I stir it up a lot and keep and eye on pieces getting done faster than others. The picture is three trays stacked over and inverted plate setter using a grid extender. It's a combination of beef and venison. I hope this helps. Jerky is a great thing on the Egg.[p]Chuck <><[p]
    [ul][li]jerky[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    jerkytrays.jpg
    <p />Redfish,[p]Here you go. 20 years of jerky making revealed![p]Feel free to e-mail if you have any further questions.[p]I did 12 pounds yesterday and had to take a day off today to finish the other 12 pounds.[p]The trays you see have allowed me to go from making 5 pounds at a time to close to 15 pounds per cook.[p]Good luck!![p]Stogie
    [ul][li]Stogie's Jerky page[/ul]
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Stogie,[p]Do you know of any chain stores where I can get Tender Quick or another meat cure?[p]Jethro
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Jethro,[p]The TQ is not needed, though you will have to refrigerate and I would recommend drying at temps above 160....just to be safe.[p]Check with your larger supermarkets. It will be with the salt and is packaged in a dark blue bag that weighs 2 pounds. Perhaps the store manager would order some in if you asked.[p]An online source is Allied Kenco.[p]Good luck![p]Stogie