Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

can you identify this enamel pan set?

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am still learning about cookware that will be good on the egg. Many people seem to use ceramic or enamel coated pans with good results. I came across a 3-pan set at a local flea market today. It is brand new, never used, and includes 3 different sized skillet pans with a removable handle that quickly attaches or disconnects from each pan on either side. All pieces appear to be made of solid heavy metal and coated in ceramic including the handle. The pans are brightly colored on top and black underneath. On the bottom they are marked "Made in Yugoslavia" with a symbol of two lions standing over a kettle. They also have the number 18 marked under the kettle. So my questions are:

- Will any ceramic or enamel pans work on the egg, or only certain kinds?

- Is it possible to damage the ceramic finish if cooking too long or too hot?

- Does anyone know who made this specific set? Might it have some collector value?

I paid $12 for the whole set which seemed like a good deal. I did some web research and was able to find a similar set for $25 on ebay but the ad said that their set is not marked on the bottom. Any info will help. I don't want to throw these pans on the egg if they might be valuable or will be damaged by the egg temps. Here ar some photos from the ebay ad but my pans are marked on the bottom as noted above.

yugoenamel3skilletset.jpg
yugoenamel3skilletbottomset.jpg

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    More often than not as far as pans are concerned, "you get what you paid for". At $4 a pan, I wouldn't expect much. I'd venture a guess that the finish is enamel, not ceramic, and that the metal core is steel rather than cast iron.

Since there is no Yugoslavia, I'd guess these guys have been hanging around some warehouse somewhere for several years. Long enough to be old; not long enough to be antique.

I'd use them till the enamel started to pop off, and not shed a tear when they went into the recycle tub.

HTH
    Ken
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Good info Ken.

The lady that sold these pans to me said they were in her Mom's house for a while and then she had them after her Mom died, and they never used them so she sold them to me at the flea market. They were not in a box or packaging but there isn't a scratch on them. I didn't want to judge the quality or value by the price since this was a small flea market way back in the hills where you sometimes come across antiques or valuable items selling cheap. It probably is a cheap set but it feels really solid and appears to be well made so I thought I would check first. The main thing is that I don't want to ruin them cooking on the egg at 400-500. I wonder if there is a way to test if it is ceramic or enamel...
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I agree with WC, I have some 'very inexpensive' coated pans and they are holding up and working very well so far...give it a shot it's only $12. And you know the minute you cross past the next WilliamsSonoma you'll probably drop a dime each for upgrades some time in the future, so enjoy your find until you wear them out!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241