Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami from Corned Eye of Round

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
EyeRoundPastrami.jpg

I posted on Friday, asking if anyone had done a corned eye of round as pastrami. No one had done that cut, but overall the suggestions were to cook it a little more like a roast than a brisket.

I did it over an inverted platesetter and water filled drip pan. The dome was around 300, plus/minus 10. The chunk of beef was a little over 3 pounds. I had it on for about 2 hours. The internal temperature jumped to 160 at the end of 2 hours, which was a bit higher than I wanted.

I took it from the Egg at that point. The meat was very moist, but there was enough un-melted connective tissue that it was unpleasant. I had reviewed thirdeye's "wet" pastrami method before I started, so I put the round into a pressure cooker, with the meat in a basket so that only steam hit it. I cooked it for another 20 minutes.

The final result was pretty good, and I think if I had a meat slicer it might have been even better. I doubt that I'll take any business from a deli with it, tho.

If I do it again, I may try more of a lo-n-slo. The cut doesn't have much fat, but is so thick that it might stay moist for 5 - 6 hours.

Also, I did a brisket point 2 weeks ago.

PastramiPoint.jpg

The down side of that was the large amount of fat that remained in the middle. In the end, I chunked it and used it in a bean and rice stew, where it made a big improvement on the dish.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    thanks! for the follow up... i was wondering how you made out. have two store bought briskets off the grill and in the cooler.. sauerkraut in the fridge good eats tonight .
    bill
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As far as I can recall, that was the first eye of round I had ever done. Maybe only half as tough as a brisket, but definitely a good candidate for several hours of boiling. I'd have to say that regular brisket flats are the easiest to pastrami, but the leanness of this cut makes it worth more investigation.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Very nice. I am making some pastrami this week week. I fI need help I'll be asking. :woohoo:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The meat looks nice and I can see the moisture in there. I sure would have liked to have a taste of that cook. I am wondering if what you are experiencing is becuse those cuts are rather thick.

Did you try any thin slices and if so how did they taste?

Thirdeye shows three methods. So far I have used method 1 (dry) and mehtod 2 wet - which is my favorite. I need to try method 3, wet with pressure finish.

Here is the link for anyone who might be interested Playing with Fire and Smoke - Pastrami

Thanks for posting, GG