Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Egged Ham

Options
Smokin Tiger
Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done this a few times now. The kids love it! :laugh: I simply take a 5-6 lb. fully cooked ham and warm it up on the egg. The smoke adds a lot of flavor. This one went about 1 1/2 hours at 350 indirect. Anyone else do these. What else do you add?

IMG_1089.jpg

TC

Comments

• BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    I coat mine in cayenne pepper !
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Looks great I add some pecan prailne sauce to mine when done. Here is the recipe

Pork, Ham, W/Praline Topping
    aka MR TOAD's OMG Ham

INGREDIENTS:
    Smoked Ham - Spiral Cut
    1/4 cup Butter
    1 cup Brown Sugar - firmly packed
    1 Cup Karo Syrup
    Topping
    1/3 cup Whipped cream
    1 tsp Vanilla
    1 cup Powdered sugar
    3/4 cup Chopped Pecans - toasted

1 Inject ham with brown sugar flavored karo syrup - heat syrup to make it easy to work with.
    2 Bake the pre-cooked ham until heated through - bake at 300, this will keep ham moist.
    To make praline sauce/topping:
    1 Bring butter, sugar, and whipping cream to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. whisk in vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth, add toasted pecans at end of cook - pour praline sauce slowly over ham - using a fork open up slices to get a bit of the sauce into the ham - be careful, ham and praline mix is very hot

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

DSC01125.jpg
    DSC01126.jpg
    DSC01128.jpg
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    All great ideas..I sometimes do a maple syrup/bourbon injection..stick a few whole cloves in the exterior..cut up some fresh pineapple and grill it with a cinnamon/brown sugar mix to go with the ham...great meal!
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    That Pecan Praline sauce sounds like dessert! I may have to try it. :laugh:

Thanks

TC
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    B) It taste like it as well. Everyone over for Easter still talks about how that was the best tasting ham ever.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    That's the way I cooked my last one. About a coup of pure maple syrup injected all over the rascal and coated with a bourbon maple glaze. It was the best one so far.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Hey Larry,
    I was just about to suggest that! :laugh: This is straight out of the 2008 Florida Fest recipe Book :

Maple-Bourbon Ham*
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

*This is a truncated version of Maple-Bourbon Glazed Ham that was posted on the forum (author unknown).
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    John,
    Maybe I should have just said the last ham I cooked was following Egret's recipe and it was outstanding.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas.

TC