Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Size EGG ???

Options
DBell
DBell Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went down to the egg place to look at the XL and the Large. I will be mostly cooking for me, my wife and 3 kids ages 12,9 and 4 years old. I was sold on the XL until I veiwed it at the store. I liked the hinge setup on the lid much better on the large egg. I also liked the shape a little better on the large. The hinge setup is engineered perfectly on the large with the lid fitting perfectly square when shut. On the XL , the hinge system did not seem to be as robust and the lid was not perfectly flush when shut. Have any XL owners experienced any problems with the hinge on their Egg? Would the LARGE be plenty big enough for a family of 5? I liked the larger diameter of the XL but did not like the hinge system. The large seems to be the perfectly shaped and the hinge system looks more bullet proof. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to purchase a large and regret I did not purchase the XL. At this time I am undecided but, eager to buy.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you'll be fine with the large. if you want more options later on, adding the small will bring you to pretty much the same total cost, but you'll be able to do simultaneous cooks at different temps.

the XL is for dudes that are cooking serious amounts of food, all the time (hello, celtic wolf)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I have a solution.... get a Large and Small or in your case a Large & Medium BGE.... The versatility of having two for about the same price as an XL is immeasureable. You can do low and slow on one and Grill on the other. Just a suggestion from an owner of a Large, Small and Mini BGE. The Large by itself will handle a meal for 5 easily. I don't have experience cooking on an XL but I know all of my eggs produce great food. If you pull the trigger on an XL you probably wouldn't be disappointed either.
    Hope this helps...

~Pharmeggist
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I own the XL and am happy with it. In your case I would recomend the LGE. Sounds like you like the LGE better and you can easily cook for a family of 5 on it. BTW once you're comfortable wth the LGE you'll probably get another. I've got my eye on a MED to add to my cookshack.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I temporarily only own an XL (ordered a small two days ago) and I don't have any problems with the hinge. A large will definetly be adequate for you and your family and you will be over the moon with it.

If you decide to get an XL you will be over the moon with it too.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I agree with all the above. The large will cook for 30 plus with a few accessories but a large / small is a great combo. I have 2 larges now but will soon be adding a small.

Pat
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have a large, medium and small, couldn't decide which one I wanted...

The wife an I are the only ones here most fo the time but I regularly cook for 25 on the large by planning on what I cook.

Now that I have the two other eggs I will be able to expand the menu options.

For your size family I think I would go large & medium or small. I would think you could cook for all even on the medium alone.

Good cookin, GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Go with a large. You can have three levels of cooking on it with no problems. I cook for 2-8 at any time with no issues.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I had the same question not long ago. I went with the large for my family and it is perfect. I recently (like this week) ordered a small to add on. I would recommend this. About the same price for both as the XL plus it add more to your abilities. You can slow smoke something on the large and cook veggies with no smoke and some bread on the small. Great combo and could not be happier B) :cheer: :whistle: :woohoo:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    DBell, I cook for a family of six, including three teen boys, and rarely have I wished I had an Egg bigger than my Large. Only when I'm cooking pig candy or for a large crowd do I pine for more grill space. A large will suit you fine.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    I have an xl, large, small and mini. I cook mostly on the small nowdays but the large is plenty big enough for 5. I use my xl when i do 3-4 boston butts or briskets or cooking for a very large party. If i had to choose and could only have my xl or a small/large combo, i would do like most here have suggested and get the large and add small later or now if you can.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Hey, Bro D --

I have a Medium and a Small. I like both as they eat relatively little lump [compared to an XL].

For your size family, you can do very well with just a Medium.

If I were starting from scratch, I would get a Large and a Medium, or two Larges. This is because I am doing lots of Big Cooks. My neighbors are coming to love me... and I'm sure as they replace their gassers they'll be buying Eggs.

Also, we have lots of church social functions, and our Eggs and deck can easily handle groups of 30+. And we do -- That's why I would have bought "larger" when starting.

If you think you're going to be cooking for groups often [and I never thought I would!], get a Large, and consider a Medium for a second Egg... erm.. I said that already, didn't I...?

Sorry --

The Worn-Out Record --

He who repeats himself...

Ditto!

;):);)

~ Broc
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    WOW... I think I remember a year or so ago you got an egg from an eggfest and you were trying to figure out how to tell the wife about it. Since then you have added to your collection LOL. I am guilty too I have a Large, small, & mini BGE now. Its hard to keep up with a Vet though!!!! :laugh:

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Didn't read ALL the replies..but get the large...I cook for a minimum of 4 several times a week and have cooked for up to 14 on the large...or spend about the same and get a large and a small...that gives you great flexibility for having 2 different cooks going and for just you and the wiffie on those weekends when the kids are with friends or grandma ;)
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Haha, You Pharmacists do pretty well. It was actually the begining of 06 that i got my first large then 06 eggtoberfest i came home with the xl and small that i had to hide for a bit. added the mini at 07 eggtoberfest. I really cant justify having the medium at this point other than novelty of having all of them but i suspect it may happen one day. have a good saturday. hope your eggin!