Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie question on low and slow

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a BGE two weeks ago, and love it. Have already managed pizza, fish, steak, burgers and pork tenderloin on it.
Looking forward to trying some ribs this weekend. However, I'm having trouble getting the beast to go low and slow enough. Any tips for getting a large BGE to tick along comfortably for hours at 250? I can't seem to get it below 350 without shutting it right down.
boydorama.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    When I am doing a low and slow I start the fire in one spot and let it slowly spread. (read The Naked Whiz website for detailed instruction on firebuilding)

I do not let the BGE get above 300 before I start shutting the vents down. Once you put the platesetter, drip pan & ribs in it usually drops to the 250 level you are seeking.

Good luck and this does take practice & patience...do not fiddle with the vents or else it will never stabilize....
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    The trick to getting the Egg to 250* is not let it get much higher than that in the first place. When you're lighting the Egg, let it warm up to, maximum, 300-325* before starting to choke it back. Once the ceramic heats up, it's not easy cooling it again.
  • TampaQ
    TampaQ Posts: 40
    Options
    you have to start shutting the bottom vent and cap sooner.

To keep it around 250 my bottom vent is barely open....maybe 1/4 of an inch. And the top cap is maybe 1/8 of an inch open with the daisy shut.

It is easier to bring temps up than bring them down so start shutting the vents before you pass your desired temp.

Edit..wow, quick replies!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The short version...

Load lump as shown in video and TNW, light in several places.

As temp climbs begin to close down vents when you 'first' get to about 300° dome. Close down lower vent to 1/8" open about the width of a quarter. Toip vent, slider closed and pettles 2/3rds open.

The temp will quickly drop to about 250° or 275°, that is where you want the temp for your ribs. Make small changes if necessary to get the desired dome temp.

Do not leave the initial temp very high or the egg ceramics will get hotter than your desired temp and getting it to cool down will be a chore and most likely you will be chasing your temps all through the cook.

Remember the grid temp will be aobut 30 to 40 degrees below dome temp.

Let us konw how things come out.

GG
  • Essex County
    Options
    Like vidalia1 says, light in one spot. Then let it come up to temp but damp it down as you approach the target. It's difficult to bring the temp down, especially after the ceramic gets hot. For my large egg, a steady 250 means the bottom vent is about 1/8 inch open and the petals on the daisy wheel are about 1/3 open. But those settings may be a little different from egg to egg. Catch your target temp on the way up and don't fiddle with it too much. It's easy to over or under adjust. Give it at least 15 minutes between adjustments.
    Paul
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    If you are going for 250, you never should let the cooker heat above 250 to begin with. Start a small fire and the let the temperature rise. When it gets to 200 or so, start closing the vents little by little as it approaches 250. Here is a link to my web page on temperature control: Temperature Control

Hope this helps! Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I am also new, my 1st low and slow was a pork shoulder. I used this as it is a forgiving cut of meat. I found my bottom vent needed to be 1/8-1/4" open and the dome closed with the daisy about 1/2 and I kept that temp. for 13 hours no problems. I actually left for 5 hours for the kids soccer game and came back, I was worried but to my suprise it had not moved. I have not figured out pictures otherwise I'd post them. Good luck!
  • Thanks so much everyone for all your help. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Looking forward to trying it.