Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokin' peppers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got an awesome batch of chipotle-like apple smoked jalapeno's that I've been enjoying for a while now. I say "chipotle-like" because they where green when I smoked them, and apparently true chipotles are made using red ones.[p]Anyway, I'm a real pepper head, and enjoy the insane heat of habaneros quite a bit. Has anybody ever tried giving these little devils the many hour smoke bath?[p]I'm thinking a nice applewood smoke at no more than 200 until they are just barely crispy. Then I'll grind 'em up, and sneak them onto my guests food when they arent looking. Or not. ;)[p]I'll try it out soon. I'll share the results with y'all, but I wanted to check first to see if anybody's had any good or bad results with these guys.[p]Thanks all,
bc

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    bc,[p]I been smoking Habs and other things for several years now and they come out wonderful. I keep my temps between 150-170º, too much higher and they will cook. You really only want to dry them.[p]I simply cut off the tops and leave the seeds in there. I have a very good burr-mill grinder that will powderize the seeds. Just be sure they are very dry.[p]I have never noticed the smoky flavor, so no longer use wood, just the charcoal.[p]I also smoke my own garlic and that does have a nice smoky flavor. It is the only garlic I ever use.[p]Stogie[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Stogie,
    Hmm, smoked garlic eh? That's one I've got to try![p]I lived in Gilroy for long enough to now that EVERYTHING needs at least a little garlic![p]So, do you smoke it until dry, or just get it mushy, or what? I could see it working either way.[p]Now I now what's going on the second egg today![p]bc

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    bc,[p]In the process I use, I am going for completely dry. Keep your temps under 180º. This will take many hours to do as the garlic is large. I then grind into powder.[p]The other type is roasted garlic....this is mushy in consistency. To make this, use an entire head and cut the top off in one big piece. Then, poach the entire head in milk(turned upside down so the fresh cut is submerged) for about 15 minutes. Then drizzle olive oil over top(where the fresh cut is), wrap tightly in foil and roast for 40-45 minutes.[p]Stogie

• Unknown
    Options
    Stogie,
    I've got the Habs on now, holding steady at about 150.[p]I've done plenty of the mushy roasted garlic, but the idea of drying it myself, oddly enough, never occurred to me. That's why I love this forum![p]I went to toss some of my garlic in the basket with the habaneros, but I was amazed/dismayed to see they where moldy. I've seen garlic go bad before, but not moldy. Oh well.[p]I'll pick up a big thing of it at Costco, and do the drying you talk about. It sounds eggcellent, and we use a LOT of garlic around here.[p]Thanks for the great idea,
    bc