Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rump Roast

Options
JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First attempt at beef rump roast. I have a small -2lb.- rump roast and am curious how you eggsperts suggest cooking and seasoning.[p]Thanks,
j.k.

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    beep.jpg
    <p />j.k.,[p]Not too sure about the rump roast but these eye roasts came out really good. I used Montreal Steak seasoning and Egged over a drip pan at 350* for about 1-1/2 hours i think. Cooked until 130* internal for a nice medium roast. Hope helps with the rump roast.[p]Chuck <><

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Chuck,
    Wouldn't that actually be considered a 'Chuck' roast?
    Qfan
    --okay, joking aside, Reg gave me a great recipe for eye of round for beef on a bun and it entailed brining the eye for 48 hours in a vegetable brine, including injecting the roast with a cup or two of the chilled brine. Then remove, pat dry and rub with a salt-free rub of your choice (pepper medley, garlic and onion powder, smoked paprika and oregano were my choices). Next, slow cook it, indirect, at 225 til 160 internal (higher than most go, but it gives the proper sliced beef texture at that temp and the brining allows you to go there without drying out the meat). I did one this week and it was fantastic! In fact, my faves have gotten me the job of doing one for the cooks' dinner at a competition we are having up here next weekend![p]

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Sounds interesting, I would like to give it a try. I'm not too sure about the vegetable brine though. Could you let me know what that is and how to do it. Thanks in advance.[p]Chuck <><

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Chuck, Nothing to be afeared of. People inject poultry, pork and now here's one for beef:
    Veggie Brine
    - 1 gallon filtered water
    - 3/4 cup coarse salt
    - 3/4 cup brown sugar
    - 1 large onion quartered
    - 2-3 stalks celery
    - 2-3 carrots
    - 3-4 bay leaves
    - 2-3 cloves garlic
    - 1 tablespoon peppercorns
    - 1 teaspoon dried basil
    Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 10 minutes to extract flavours from veggies. Can quick cool by putting pot in sink filled with cold water; change it twice, then refrigerate brine in fridge til at least down to 40F
    Follow injecting and brining directions as already laid out above....
    Try it once at least and let me know your thoughts. Thanks to Reg Pelletier for the recipe and technique!~
    Qfan

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck,[p]I do eye on direct heat at 350 til meat temp reaches 140. Always comes out soft, tender and delicious.