Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my crtitque of my first cook

Options
murphy11
murphy11 Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up my large BGE Thursday night from Fred's Music and BBque (nice guy and I got a good deal) My wife picked up strip steak (I think) and I made ABTs and shrimp wrapped in bacon with diced green chiles - Acme didn't have whole chiles.

I did a test light of the lump Saturday morning which went well and we cooked Sunday night. My fire got to about 600 degrees on Sunday and I couldn't get it any hotter. I think next time I'll use more lump and create better airflow to get it hotter. A cast iron grate will be on the short list - had to sear with the porcelin grate.

My first 'mistake' was to partially cook the bacon for the ABTs. 1/2 of the ABT bacon was a little burnt - the shrimp appetizer was perfect without precooking. I cooked both for about 25 minutes mostly at 350, turning at about 15 minutes. I like my food spicy and the ABTs were too tame for my tastes (my parents don't like hot and thought they were good) so next time I'll leave some seeds in half of the batch. I also don't think I used enough cheese so gotta use more next time.

The steaks were seared at around 600 for about 90 seconds one side and a litle over a minute on the other side. Everyone was hungry so they rested for maybe 4 or 5 minutes. I shut the BGE down while resting and it came down to around 400. I did each side for about 3 minutes and served. The steaks were not too thick - maybe an inch. I used table salt and pepper and and a chicken seasoning that contained onion, garlic, salt, etc. The steak wasn't pink inside but it was still juicy and tender. Flavor was good and my son who does not eat much meat asked for more and had 8 pieces - a record!:)

Next time I will get kosher sea salt. thicker steaks, have a hotter fire, and prepare earlier to give it more rest. I'm probably being too hard on myself because everyone enjoyed, but I feel like I can do a lot better next time. Any advice - please fire away. Also, when searing do you sear with the top open or closed? I see pics with the lid open but I seared with lid closed and the daisy wheel off.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Congratulations on you new egg.

I agree, probably a little hard on yourself, however, that will make you a better cook. What you have written will help you impove on your cooking.

I do somewhat the same thing, however, I usually don't taken notes. When it comes to redoing a cook I am always wondering what I wanted to do the next time.

There is a difference between cooking steaks 25 times (getting better and better) and cooking 25 steakes 1 time (different each time).

GG
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I don't think you need to go much higher with your temp. I do all my steaks at around 550/600. I don't even dwell any more. I just flip them a few times so they don't burn. I try to buy 1 1/2 to 2 inch steaks. Good luck with your future cooks. Thanks, Tom StripSteak2.jpgStripsteak5.jpg
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Here is my favorite method for steaks on the egg!!!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Good thought Tom,

Don't take your new egg up too high in temp, you may end up replacing the gaskets.

It seems keeping the eggs under 500° for a few cooks allows the gasket and adhesive to 'cure' somewhat.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    My early steaks were always a little too done... no pink inside. I tried and tried...

I find it hard to control the outcome with "normal"-thickness grocery story cuts. Get 'em a little thicker, and you might be "just right."

That said -- My cooks improved dramatically when I got an "instant-read" thermometer. I have the cheap-BGE thermometer, which really isn't instant read. The Thermopen [$85] is much better...

...someday... when my ship comes in...

But even with the $25 cheapies, I'm no longer guessing [just burning off a few finger hairs, which are sort of useless, anyway :laugh: ]

Now, I KNOW when the steaks are medium rare -- I KNOW when the chicken is cooked "just right..."

My personal take [others may disagree] -- 600F is plenty high to sear anything. Rather than worry about higher dome temps, lower the grate. It Be hotter closer to the coals.

Cast Iron grate -- That's all I use. Love it. The cast iron heats and holds heat better than the ceramic. But, when turning meat, turn it to a "virgin" place on the grill, where the temp is higher. When we put a steak on the grill, the meat cools the immediate grid, whereas the adjacent iron remains hot.

~ Best

~ Broc
  • Signal 99
    Signal 99 Posts: 59
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I'm new to this Egg thing also. Purchased my Egg from Fred's last November. Broc is right on point with the instant read thermometer. If you haven't got one, make it a next purchase. Between all the great info your fellow eggers provide and some key stuff - you'll be and eggspert before you know it.
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......