Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Racks

Options
Cap'n
Cap'n Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm fairly new to the BGE scene - thanks to WooDoggies for the fine introduction. In the few weeks I have been cooking on it the line of friends demanding ribs is growing rapidly. I have read alot on the different methods here on the forum (am leaning towards the indirect without foil - no suace except spritzing last 30 minutes or so) - but my question is about the standing racks into which you place the ribs - any particular type preferred?
Cap'n

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Cap'n,
    And glad to here you are up and Qing. Have heard stories about your cooking abilities![p]When I have enough ribs to use a rack, I prefer the upside-down v-racks. I have a rack that is sold as a rib rack, but the fit is kinda tight, and it is a pain to move them around without yanking off the wonder-bark from the ribs. So I opt for the looser-fitting v-rack.[p]Have fun with them! This is making me hungry.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • billex
    billex Posts: 27
    Options
    Cap'n, Afternoon, I got the V-Rack and did ribs on it, it worked pretty well until the cook was over and i tried to get the ribs off, some of the meat just wanted to hang on to that rack for dear life, next week i'll try some Pam to see if that helps.
    Mind u, if i was sizzling for 5 hours don't think I could let go either.
    billex

• Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the kind words...let's just say I won't go hungry.
    Thanks for the tip on the V-rack - do you have problems with sticking (or as billex suggested - will Pam do the trick)?
    Cheers...cap'n
    ps...it is beer-thrity somewhere right now (need to install a fridge under my desk)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cap'n,
    I had a little fridge that I saved from the dorm days that I had local to my work desk. Thing was 20 years old, and still chillin' like a badboy. I pulled it outside a while back, and began knocking off the big chunks of ice from the little half-open freezer compartment (with a hammer and screwdriver) when I plunged the dagger into the main artery of the poor guy. After a 10 or 15 second hissing noise, and another pint of freon into the atmosphere, I had a 2x2x3 pice of scrap metal. I miss my little fridge.[p]No problems with sticking on the v-rack, but a squirt-o-pam couldn't hurt none.[p]I WILL get an opportunity to taste your fare someday.
    Beer thirty here. Have fun!
    Chris!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ