Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So Much to Learn, So Little Time

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Long Weekend. Start at Start.[p]On Friday Night, I did a quick and simple one. I simple smoked some fresh Kielbasa with some Apple Lil’ Devil Smoking Pellets for about 30 minutes at 300. They turned out great. We had them with Perogies that I had fried with butter and onions, a true classic Cleveland meal.[p]On Saturday morning, as my daughter and I were walking around the West Side Market, I was on a quest to find something to egg for the upcoming event. I was not sure what I was going to egg, again so many choices. As I was walking past one of favorite Pork Stands, the most beautiful rack of Baby Back Ribs jumped out at me. They were at least two feet long and full of meat. At a total of twelve dollars, I thought that I had just purchased the Rack of all Rack.[p]My daughter and I finished shopping and continued on The Event.[p]And Now the Event … My first Cook on a Large BGE.[p]My daughter and I proceeded to the home of one KennyG. The Event was to unfold before my eyes. KennyG was in need of a little egg storage, so I decided to help. He really had to twist my arm to keep his Large BGE in my garage until he could move.(Ha) Anyway, when I arrived he had his Large BGE disassembled in his front yard. I promptly loaded it into my van. He was also generous enough to let me take all of the neat little toys that he had collected for his egg.[p]Upon arrival home, I unload the morning’s take from the market. To the ribs I applied some mustard and JJ’s Rub. I reassembled the egg, cracked a fresh bag of BGE Lump and promptly loaded my new guest up. I then set a rather large chunk of Red Oak to soak. [p]My buddy heard that I was making ribs and told me that he would be right over with another rack to throw on. When he arrived, I cleaned up a rather tall rack of Spare Ribs and loaded them up with Elder Ward’s Rub.[p]Sometime later in the afternoon I light off the fire starter. My first ever Large BGE Cook was under way.[p]I rolled the ribs up and tossed them on the Large BGE with the Red Oak.[p]With about one hour left on the ribs, I had to run back over to KennyG’s so I delivered some of nearly finished product. The smell in the care was overwhelming. [p]When I arrived home, I was expecting the ribs to be done after nearly four hours at 200 in the egg. Well I was wrong. I laid the now unrolled racks back on the grill and fired up the temperature to 300. I finished them off flipping once on the half hour mark. [p]When all was said and done, the ribs were a little overcooked. However, they were still very good and there were no leftovers.[p]I think that an Egg Bake may be next.[p]I have so much to learn about the Large Egg and so little time. [p]A Very Happy RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Would you mind telling this old country boy what the hell are perogies. [p]Old Dave
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Ditto.
    B~F

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Well, the easiest description that I have heard is Polish Raviolis. They are not just Polish though they are more of an Eastern European peasant food. [p]Basic Perogies are noodles filled mashed potatoes, but they are filled with many other things as well, it would depend upon what nationality your family was. Some of the fillings that come to mind are: Potato and Cheese, Lekvar (Prune Butter), Sauerkraut, Apple, Sweet Cheese, sometimes meat.[p]The Perogies are then boiled and sometimes fried in butter with onions. Sometimes they are severed with a side of Sour Cream[p]That is about all that I can up with.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, you fixum, and pass me a plate full! Sounds good!
    C~W