Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Its a brisket emergency!

Options
BigChar
BigChar Posts: 113
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You live, you learn. I set up the egg today to start my corned beef brisket, stabilized it at 235-240. I put my extra two inch ring to get the brisket up in the dome (mistake #1) platesetter in and the CBB set up indirect. Thinking I was good - I headed back to the office to finish up some late day projects (mistake #2.) Temps got up to 300 and with the brisket up in the dome, it cooked FAST! an hour later the CBB was reading 156 - almost done! I ran home, pulled the extra 2" ring to get the brisket down into the egg and shut it down to 200.

Here is my question - The brisket cooked really fast and tastes good but is tough as nails. If I let it continue to cook at the 200 mark for a few more hours - will it gt more tender? Or since I cooked it too fast am I doomed to corned beef hash for the next week?

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    i always do my briskets at 225-240 range and pull when the internal hits 195-200 then wrap in foil and a bath towel and let sit for an hour or two. You could also try foiling when it hits 175 or so, add some broth and leave on the egg until the internal hits the 195 point and see what you got. practice makes perfect, but hash isn't a bad thing either.........

just my .02 but i am always satisfied with the results.
  • BigChar
    Options
    Cool - I will try that and see how we do. It may be hard keeping hands off of it for an hour while it rests. Is it the rest that really gives you tender results?
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    I think your brisket is just reaching the plateau and will hang there for the next several hrs. probably about 5 or 6. I would keep my dome temp. at 225 to 250 and follow slotmercenary recommendations on pulling and wrapping. You’re still OK. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • BigChar
    Options
    I went back out and checked - you guys are right! It is still at the same temp as it was about 90 minutes ago. I believe we have Plateau'd - thanks for the advice -
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    From my experience cooking to to 165° - 170° internal gives me a very nice result. You ended up having a fast cook but should still hit that target range.

One one cook the corned beef was really tough on 1/2 of the brisket and the other side was tender. I have no idea why and figured it was just the piece of meat, it did taste very good.

I am not sure what is going to happen if you take the corned beef up to the 200° range. You might wrap in foil with some liquid if going up that high.

Pleas let us know what you do and how this turns out.

GG
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Even if you cook it to fast which I have done but thats a story for another day, it still should be good. If it is not up to expectations slice it dice it and put BBQ sauce on it. It ill make a great sandwich. You won't regret it.
  • smokey bottom boy
    Options
    wrap it at 165 with double layer of foil and take it to 200. time isn't as critical as the temp. it'll be tender and moist. make sure you let it sit for a few hours wrapped in a towel in a cooler.
    tim
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    Are we talking about corned beef or a regular brisket?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I am missing something here. Are you certain it is a corned beef brisket? If it is, then you should be done at 170 and it should be mighty tender.

If it is a brisket flat then take it to 200 and it should get tender for you.

I think getting it up into the dome is a good thing, that didn't hurt your cook much, if any.

Let us know if it is a corned beef or a fresh brisket and we can help out a bit more.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Corned beef (pastami)

GG
  • BigChar
    Options
    You folks are a great asset. Using a hybrid of some of the advice, we pulled it at 165 - wrapped and let it sit for about 45 minutes (hungry guests.) the brisket was Very flavorful and fairly tender. This was a Pastrami, not a regular brisket. I will post pics in a new post. Thank to everyone for talking me thru it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If you have enough pastrami left, or when you do another pastrami cook, make some hamburgers. Get some big cheep buns and put the burger on it and then stack on the pastrami.

Pastrami burgers are great expecially egg pastrami burgers.

Glad to hear it turned out well.

GG