Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken

Options
Cajun
Cajun Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got one for me b'day. Awesome thing.

Anyone have foolproof cookin' idears?

I will have to take pics and learn how to post 'em on this one!

Thanks for any words of wisdom here

Cajun

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is Mad Max's

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=395871&catid=1

Here is one I did last year.

Turkey, Turducken, Richard Fl

******************************************************************************

INGREDIENTS:
    1 15Lbs Turducken, Stuffed Creole Style, Tony Chachere's
    Marinade
    2 Cloves Garlic, Sliced
    6 Ozs. Orange Juice Concentrate
    1 Tbs Oregano
    1 Tbs Pepper, Black
    1 Tbs Cumin
    2 Tbs Kosher Salt
    2 Cups Lemon Juice, Fresh

1 For a regular unstuffed turkey, marinate the bird over night in a plastic container. This will make enough for a 10-12 pound bird. Saved the basting juice and made a gravy, little tart, but good!
    2 Stuff the bird with lots of garlic and cook as you normally would, using the marinade to baste. Baste the bird every now and then. When done, use the drippings and add some corn starch mixed in cold water and make a gravy.
    3 This marinade is used for turkey, Cajun Style, however I used it for a Turducken.
    4 Marinated turducken for 2 hours. Just basted the turducken. Did not put in any container like the unstuffed bird, 'cause figured the dressing would get mushy. It was a little anyway, but not because of the way it was marinated.
    5 Placed in large BGE 350°F, platesetter legs up, NO SMOKE! 15 pound bird, 20 minutes/pound if defrosted. Internal temperature 160°F. This bird took 5 hours. NOTE the lemon halves to moisten the breasts, hehe.
    6 Roasted in rib rack, turned over, top of drip pan.
    7 Covered with foil the first 4 hours and then removed the last hour to brown up.
    8 Rested for 45 minutes.
    9 Presentation!
    10 Removed drumsticks, thighs and wings, only bones on bird. Split down center and cut into 1 1/2 inch slices.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Marinade, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/03/10
  • easter turducken

sorry but i thought this was funny
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Certainly not a slam-dunk, but hopefully you'll get some good help here. That's one helluva dish but I find it a little intimidating to attempt for a crowd (on a first try). Let us know how it goes!

Bon Appetite!, Rascal
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    it is much easier than you think. . ..only thing you really have to be careful of is not messing up the turkey skin. ...it really doesn't matter how badly you hack up the duck and chicken . ..other key is to make sure the meat is cooked all the way through. ..

i will definitely do it again. . .
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    N/T
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hey, the webmeister finally set it up so that once you are logged in, you stay logged in... .hell, i just might bother people some more again now!!!. ..

of course, getting you to respond to a voice mail is another story!!!

did you read the 'big belly dimentia' article!!!...or did you forget already. . . :woohoo:
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I'n my case, I think:

"I have no F'n idea what you're even talking about"...

may be the perfect response!!

LMAO!!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    you know, i was in a waffle house on tuesday morning up in maryland, and i had to PAY MY OWN CHECK. ..almost didn't know how to without you and LR and sandbagger around.... i tried telling the girl to put it on one of your all's "national waffle house tabs", but she wasn't buying. ..go figure. ..
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    I follow the cooking directions that come with the turducken for the time and temps except uncover the bird about 30 minutes longer than called for. Helps crisp up the skin and a little additional color. A couple of additional tips I use. Make sure it is on a rack in your roster. Rest time is good for a turducken. A little smoke goes a long way. To serve, cut in ½ from head to tail then slice about 1” thick. No matter how hard I try, I still never get more than 4 slices per side that have the turkey, duck and chicken separated by dressing. Good luck and Happy Birthday. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.