Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fillet Mignon

Options
Smoking Bulldawg
Smoking Bulldawg Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my egg up to 700 dome temp placed three fillets on, closed the lid and left the top and bottom all the way open. I let the steaks cook for approx. 3 minutes on side one. When I went to flip them I noticed that side one was well done. I flipped the steaks and cooked for the same time on side two. However, this time the side two looked great. I closed both vents and let the steaks cook for 7 more minutes. The inside was perfect as well as side two. What happened to side one?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Recomended is 90 sec's a side then lower temps. If you liked tem then no prob. if not then try TRex.

Pat
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    What do you mean by "well done" - was the surface burned or scorched?

The only thing I would change based on your description is to sear the steaks with the dome open.

Read up on the TRex method on the Naked Whiz site -- it is a great method for thick steaks.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I think it was a temp change that caused the difference. The temp can drop dramatically when you open the dome so it is possible the second side was seared at a lower temp and also you lowered your temp to finish the steaks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Not really knowing how you were set up, trying to guess is just that, a guess.

Your first 700°, side one, the egg evidently had a lot of heat in the ceramics and in the lump.

Lid opened and meat put on. Everything still extremely hot. Not sure if the length of time side one was cooking was enough to get the residual heat back into the ceramics and the grid itself.

You turned the meat, thinking some of the heat now gone it would take longer to get the same 'sear/burn'.

Also, could there have been some type of flare up on the first side opening, possibly some flavor wood actually getting into open flame.

The times for this type of cook are in an above post. I have had lava looking lump and put a 1" thick stake directly on the lump for 90 seconds, turn and find a new lava looking lump and the same time for the other side. When taking off the thin stake, it has a very nice dark sear (not burnt) and it was medium to medium rare on the inside.

3 minutes total cook.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    On side One -- the grid is screaming hot. The meat cools the metal grid down.

Turn the steak over -- the same amount of heat is coming from beneath, but the metal has cooled -- this, not so much heat is being transferred into the steaks.

When turning stuff over, try to place the meat on a part of the grill that is still "virgin."

~ B
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I guess I better buy a new grate cause mine is rather promiscuous :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Chef alluded to it and Broc was close.

Open the lid and the heat bellows out. Close the lid and it take a few second for the Egg to come back up to temp. The longer you leave the lid open the longer it takes to come back to temp. This is very prevalent on indirect cooks.

The first time you probably opened the lid, threw the meat on, closed the lid. Temp would have dropped but not lot. The second time you most likely took more time flipping the meat admiring how good they look and then closed the lid. More time required to come back up to temp. At searing temps even a second or two makes a difference in "doneness"
  • :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :):):):):):):):):):)
    :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
    :):):):):):):):):):)
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I always sear mine at 2minutes per side, then close up the vents to cook for and additional 2-3minutes. Becareful of the flashback, but provide a great rare to med-rare steak.