Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

"The Chicken" was Awesome

MattMatt Posts: 143
edited 11:47PM in EggHead Forum
AZRP --

Thanks for the recipe and advice -- my "The Chicken" was excellent. I followed the recipe exactly except that my local store was out of ancho chiles and my powder supply was depleted, so I used 1 T of guajillo powder and 1 T of smoked paprika in place of the 2 T of ancho powder. I'll be making this one again.

One final question, though -- in your pictures, your sauce looks thicker than mine was. It seemed to cling to the chicken a bit better. I just brought my sauce to a boil, added the oil, and dunked the chicken -- is this what you do? Or, do you cook the sauce down a bit? Maybe the garlic powder (as opposed to the granulated I had to use) brings a bit of thickening power to the party?

Thanks again, AZRP.

Matt

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I whisk the oil in to emulsify it then dip. My sauce has the consistency of water, it's meant to soak into the meat and not be a thick sauce like traditional BBQ sauces. I think it would be far to spicy as a thick sauce. Glad you liked it. -RP
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    How long do you cook the vegy's?
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Hey Kim,

Not to step on Randy's toes, but I did this last night. I had a half steam pan that was full of veggies. A large vidalia onion, a large bell pepper, 4 mid-sized yellow squash, and a whole tub of baby portabella shrooms.

I cooked them for about 75 minutes, then drained off a good bit of the liquid, then put it back on for another 15-20 minutes because the onion wasn't quite as tender as I like.

They were delicious!

Prepped:
    Veggies800.jpg

And Done:
    VeggiesDone800.jpg

In case you missed my post from last night, "The" chicken is awesome!!!
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Rod,

We are practically neighbors so you coulda called me!!!!! ;)

They looked great. I will try that next Sunday...I can't wait...