Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grabbing a hot grate: not fun

WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am still getting used to the egg and have done about a dozen cooks so far. I have opened, cleaned, filled, reconfigured, and closed the egg many times in these first few weeks so I have acquired a few habits, some of which I found out are not so good.

The other day I did a high temp burn to clean out the daisy wheel. Had it up to well over 750. Used gloves and tongs to remove the daisy wheel and steel grate then set them down on the concrete with the grate leaning up against the side of the egg nest as I normally do while cleaning. Left the egg open for a few minutes to cool down and prepare for a cook. I took my gloves off to grab the meat tray with my left hand and out of habit I reached down and grabbed the still-extremely-hot grate with my bare right hand. Yeeeooowww that hurt. It was a good sear but thankfully didn't last long since the old reflexes kicked in fast.

Then the next day I had the plate setter in and started a high temp run to prepare for some pizza. Realized that I had the plate setter in the wrong way. Was careful to keep the thick leather fire gloves on this time but I found out just how hot a plate setter can get in a short time. It was so hot that it instantly seared the second finger joints of the leather gloves such that they are permanently warped in the bent position. Naturally I set the plate setter down quickly and no harm done to me thanks to the gloves taking the beating.

So I learned to always handle the grate with gloves even when cold, thus I won't ever end up touching a hot grate with a bare hand. I also learned to let the grill cool way down for a long time before attempting to reposition a hot plate setter. I am wondering if any of you have learned similar lessons and would care to share before I ruin some more gloves or burn other extremities... ;-)

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    D'OH!!!! :woohoo:
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Been there, done that. I've felt your pain.

So has this guy, in Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark:

eggsafety.jpg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If you do don't admit it on the forum!!
  • WileECoyote
    Love the pic BigT. My burn wasn't quite that bad but I do have a nice lower-case "t" symbol on my right thumb. You might try it - would go with your forum name for sure.

On the bright side: I have perfected the process of lighting my egg quickly and cleanly with ordinary rubbing alcohol and I haven't blown anything up or so much as singed an eyelash. I plan to post a short video of this method once I get my other projects done.

What is it about fire, fireworks, guns, explosives, etc. that makes them so appealing to men of all ages? Or is it just my Wile E personality showing through... :P
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I, too, have been initiated into the Burnt Flesh Fellowship.

Mea culpa -- and forgiver me, father, for I have seared!

Hope I've learned my lesson --

Good luck!

~ Broc
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    i've read about all the different ways to light the egg... mapp, weed burners, firestarters, napkins in oil, chimneys. but this is a first for alcohol. i suppose it would be interesting for someone to start using magnesium. maybe even napalm.

can't wait to see you video post - "roadrunner burnt to crisp on egg!"
  • I use welding gloves as they are more heat resistant than the leather work gloves.

Only drawback is they are bulky and not as pliable, but I have no problem removing my platesetter after a 500* cook!
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    might i suggest one of these
    and here is a wide variety of gloves i have the ones at teh end of the third page in elbow length , expensive but work great for taking a hot egg apart at the end of a fest , i bought them pre egg for other reasons but they really do the job.
    bill
  • WileECoyote
    I came up with the idea of using isopropyl alcohol to light the egg after a lot of research. It burns clean, fast, and hot, and it doesn't have any toxic byproducts, smells, tastes, or fumes other than normal fire. Rubbing alcohol is almost pure isopropyl mixed with a small amount of water. I have tested various concentrations and 70% strength works best. It only takes 1-2 ounces to light the egg. Will post more about it later.

I do have about 20 pairs of gloves, all different styles, but I just took them off to handle the meat and grabbed the grate out of habit. I don't like using the welding gloves since it is too hard to handle finer items like the tongs, baster, small dishes, etc. I have a pair of military nomex flight gloves and these protect against flashbacks, heat, and flames just fine yet they are thin and easy to work with. Now I just need to remember to keep them on and not grab hot grates or plate setters for too long... :whistle: