Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help a newbie

Options
Meat
Meat Posts: 233
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since I don't have my Large BGE yet I may be jumping the gun but when a deal falls in your lap you gotta take it.

I plan on building a table for my egg when it comes home. As luck would have it a decent size piece of granite is available to me for my tabletop. The deal requires me to have the hole dimension to the guy ASAP.

What diameter does the hole for the large egg to fit in need to be? I can't get to an egg soon enough to take a measurement. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Go to the Naked Whiz site and look at the plans...will you have the BGE sitting in the granite???

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Meat
    Options
    Thanks. I'll check out The Whiz site. The base of the table will be made out of wood with the egg sitting through the granite like most of the tables I've seen.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Based on what I just found it looks like the hole should be 21" . Not sure how far front and back. Guess you could just center it.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.pdf
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    21" is correct, I have the plans in front of me...I usually push my hole as far to the right or left as I can when building a table to optimize counterspace. My tables are 26" wide minus a 21" hole leaves 5" --2.5" front to back and from either left or right side of the table looks nice.

Good luck--congrats on the new large!
    c tredwell

ps--
    best way to secure your new granite top is a thick coat of liquid nails on all exposed surface. 24 hrs later, that top is tight
  • Meat
    Options
    Thanks for the link. 21" it shall be. My hands are tied as to the size of the granite. Since it's a deal (I don't even know the cost yet, if any) I won't be too picky. I'll offset it to one side and center it then build the table to fit the top. Thanks again for the help. This forum is frickin' sweet.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Wow! Granite...

I hope that your table turns out well for you. Be sure to post some pics, K? Oh yeah...Welcome to the EggNation!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    For this stainless top I used a 21 1/2" diameter and it fits great. Hope to install it this weekend. Did a dry fit & is perfect. Make sure you check the height as it will come into play at the hinges.
    Pat

100_1660.jpg
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    I personaly would make it 21 1/2 hole because it is granit. The reason is if to tight and the granit can wedge in between the egg, it could crack. Even though granit is the second hardest materal in the world they do have flawes and could crack easy. I seen this happen. Good Luck and hope it turns out great. Happy Egging with your new large.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    You're gonna love your granite table top!, but be careful about the hinge clearance. I used the Naked Whiz's plans, but didn't know that he had the old style of hinge. The spring loaded type that most everyone has now, needs more room. Not knowing that, I had to make some cutouts after the fact so the egg wouldn't sit so high above the table. Granite won't cut so easy after the fact, so either cut out before, or have the egg sit higher (and wobble a bit more when the lid opens)

EggTable04.jpg

Good Luck.