Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What eggors are about!!

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, to expand on the 'most eventful' fest theme from earlier and to answer Angie2B's inquiry, here we go! As most of you know, I pulled the most stupid and novice act of raising the dome without it being secured. I had removed the dome on my small BGE in order to facilitate removal from the vehicle and had forgotten to re-tighten the band bolt which resulted in a most sickening 'sound' of ceramic meeting concrete. Yes, it broke into several pieces! Mike (Pork Butt Mike) jumped in and offered his new 'small' for my use which I immediately and gratefully accepted. I was able to cook up a mess of homemade Italian Sausage Balls for the throngs, thanks to Mike. Well, next day he brought his egg all the way from the farthest pavillion over to my position so I could cook on it. My buddy, RichardFL, did the same with a large BGE his friend had purchased. Their kindness and effort was most appreciated.
In the meantime, unbeknownst to me, PBM went around and solicited a collection from fellow eggors in order to buy 'egret' a new dome! According to my sources, he had collected around $165, which was more than enough to buy a new dome. Now, here steps in BGE corporate!! Bobby-Q let it be known that BGE would take care of this for me and, true to his word, I stopped by the 'mothership' this afternoon and he gave me a brand new dome and thermometer for my ailing small.
This is what our BGE family is all about! I'm humbled that PBM, who is a caring soul with a big heart, would do what he did for a fellow eggor, and, grateful for all those who put their money in the 'kitty'. And, thank you, Bobby, for stepping in and fortifying what we already know, that BGE offers the most comprehensive product support you'll ever find.
The money that PBM raised was turned over to Silver River State Park, where the event was held and who benefited from of all the proceeds of our event over and above the actual costs.......

Comments

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    I had not heard that you broke the dome however you could not have asked for a better ending.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    John it was so great meeting you and your wife. She is such a sweet heart. As for what I did was nothing, it was all the fellow eggers who step up to help out. Thanks to them, my wife and I were so happy how Eggers come together for what they did. Bobby Q was awesome for what he did. I am just glad everthing worked out and we all had such a great time. Can't wait till next year. Oh yeah some of your expert cooking came home with the small egg and it's rubbing off I hope. Take care John.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your "humpty" experience, but WOW! That is some customer service and all those eggers coming to your aid. Double Wow!!It makes you feel like the world isn't in too bad a shape.....at least this green part of the world!
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Options
    All you ever hear about on the news is how bad America and Americans are. This story is just one more thing that proves that real Americans are the most generous and giving people in the world.
  • It's stories like this that make me proud to be an egghead. With all the negativity you see on todays news, it's these kind of things that help me get through the day. A heartfelt bravo to those involved and thank you.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Great post! Gotta love the way that the folks really shine when it comes to helping one another. Glad to hear that the SBGE is back in service.

Thanks for sharing the story :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Glad it worked out for you buddy. It was a pleasure to help (watch) you cook. It was great to meet you & you wife. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation. If you get backdown this way look me up. Thanks for all the bread tips.
    Pat

100_1699.jpg
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    The scene: One of the first people to the meet and greet was Egret. I watched him carefully and properly wheel his small egg into position. I turned away for a minute and then heard a very, very bad sound. No way the 2008 Fl Eggfest was starting off with a shattered dome?!?
    Egret shook it off in record time and before I knew it I was chwing down on one of his killer meatballs. What a beast!
    PBM's collection idea was great. Thanks for that. As for Mark and Mike's comments, you are right, people are so generous and awesome.
    It was a great weekend with great, interesting and funny people. Scott
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    In 1 day, you used my rib notes for a class I was going to teach to light your lump.
    Stole my table.
    Lost a Global Knife of mine.
    Used an entire bottle of my rub for your ABTs.
    Knocked a beer over at the after party.

Jonathon, I love you buddy. Glad things worked out.

See you in Oklahoma.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Think this explains the way I view it.
    hope the link works.
    Pat

Explanation of an EGGER from a newbie - FlaPoolman 2008/03/16 19:25:29 (6)
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Posted by: FlaPoolman on 2008/03/16 19:25:29
    Bought my first egg in 02 and found the forum about 05-06. Lurked and learned alot of tips from all those ready to help. registered at the end of 07 because of the way the regulars treated the newbies like me. Going to my first fest thinking that yea-right -nice when they are at home posting but what about in person?? Well this is to let ALL know that they are real people and exceed the politeness that we all see in the forum. All the EGGERS that I had the pleasure of meeting this weekend ( yea you to CW-Pete ) are some of the highest quality people I've ever met. Does this have to do with the EGG???? I can't answer that but I can say that they are even better than they appear when they answer our questions. Thanks to all in the forum & hope to meet most at sometime.

Just my opinion but proved it this weekend in Ocala

Pat
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Well there goes my reputation!! :lol:
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Sorry CW But now that we met I'll try to keep the secret that your actually a nice guy. ;)
    Pat
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    egret,

I was wondering and waiting for the tale of the transparent dome, or lack thereof.

Thanks for sharing for sharing the story and thanks to the other eggheads who pitched in to get this all resolved.

When push comes to shove, as has been shown in the past the eggers are really a family when folks need help.

Great experiences, even if only experienced vicariously.

Ya got to love the eggs and the folk on the forum, Kent
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    That sure was the worst sound I've ever heard, and there was no mistaking what happened, even without seeing the damage. It was just an awful feeling. I'm glad that everything is back together now and your small is back in action.

I thought I'd share a note I received from one of the park staff about the 'Fest. She sent this out to the Citizen's Support Organization (CSO), the Friends of Silver River State Park, to whom the $$$ collected for Egret's dome were donated....

***************************************************************************************************************
    Dear Friends and Co-workers –

The Green Egg event at the park this past weekend sounded like it was a great success. We had a lot of members who attended and assisted (and ate, I’m sure!) and it sounds as though everyone had a grand time. The head count coming in the gate was 286. This doesn’t take into account all the people that were also camping or in the cabins as well, so attendance must have been well over 350. I know I speak for all the staff when I say that this is one of the most fun events that come to the park each year. It’s like having a big family reunion.

During the cook-off on Saturday, one of the chef’s broke the dome of his barbecue “egg” and everyone took up a collection to help him pay for a replacement. Then the “egg” man that was selling parts and grills gave it to him gratis. Now how often do we have a crowd this generous! The collection taken up on the chef’s behalf totaled $169.00 which was then given to Friends of Silver River. Now we’re talking doubly generous!

If any of you want to add your voices (or emails) of thanks to this group please let me know and I’ll see that they hear you loud and clear.

Deb

Deborah G. Wilson, Admin. Assist
    Silver River State Park