Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9 lb Pork Shoulder..now what?

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought a 9+ lb Pork Shoulder at Kroeger for .99 pp. She wants me to fix it for Easter. My question is:

do I inject it and cook it like a ham

or do I do it low & slow like a pork butt?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated... :)

Kim Youngblood
(aka vidalia1)
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    A pork shoulder and a butt are one and the same. Technically a whole shoulder is the picnic and the butt. Cook it low and slow. If it came from Kroeger my bet is that it has already been injected with a sodium solution. They call it enhanced but to me pulled pork is much better without it. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    like has been said, check to see if its enhanced, if it is i wouldnt cook it for an easter dinner. this is something thats good to try for a holiday instead of regular pull.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2004/messages/110702.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Thanks guys...I thought low & slow was the way to go...I will look for enhanced on the package.....

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    re: "fix it for Easter"

Think about presentation. You have a shoulder, so the grain will be more like a butt and less like a ham. While you can slice it, you won't get the nice "round" slices you'd get from a real ham (hind leg). It'll look okay - just not ham.

Think about taste. You have a piece of fresh pork, and not enough time before Easter to cure it. Now matter what, it's going to taste like roast pork, not like roast ham. It'll taste good - just not ham.

Because I like to play with my food, I'd remove the bones and cure it like prosciutto. In 4 to 6 weeks, I'd lightly smoke it.

In the meantime, I'd pick up a real hame for this coming Easter.

Ken