Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoker not SMOKE-ing...?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm fully aware of the joys of an egg for things like 3-minute steaks at 600+ degrees, but I'm told this is also a smoker, right?[p]Yesterday I decided to try my hand at smoking a rack of ribs with my Large Egg and natural lump charcoal. From that experience i have a few questions:[p]1. I basically had to cut the fire completely off in order to get my temp down to 250 (I was doing a 6 hour smoke). I had the lower flue (spelling?) open about a half an inch and the daisy wheel only open a crack. I started out with charcoal remnants from a prior grilling, but after about 2 hours my heat began to die so I added enough charcoal to cover the holes in the bottom. Trying to accomplish the best results I mounded the charcoal on one side of the grill and put the ribs on the other side to achieve the best indirect heating. Is that how it's supposed to be done? Is it normal to nearly completely shut off the air supply to the grill in order to maintain 250?[p]2. As you can probably imagine, with very little oxygen getting into my smoker, I had very little *smoke*. Dont get me wrong, the ribs were great, but even after 6 hours they didnt have any overwhelming amount of the acclaimed "smoke flavor". Doesnt the grill need to smoke in order to be a smoker? Did I do something wrong? Was it because the grill wasnt getting enough oxygen because I had the vents closed? [p]3. How do you smoke with your egg? Do you use as little charcoal as possible and add a little bit every hour or two? How are your vents situated?[p]Thanks in advance for the response![p]Adam

Comments

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Adam,
    Did you add some smoking wood like apple or cherry? those are the ones I like.
    When you want to do a 6hr smoke fill your egg with enough Lump for an 8hr cook.
    Good Luck,
    Ross
  • RNLV
    RNLV Posts: 42
    Options
    Your vents were set properly. It takes very little fire to keep heat in the egg. The best way for indirct is using a plate setter. Fire brick can also be used with a second grid.
    As for the charcoal, I always fill almost to the fire ring for all cooks expect long over nite cook, then part way up the ring. When you have finished close the vents, the remaining
    coal can be used again. Stir gently with the ash tool and add new lump. I like to use a couple
    chunks of hickory wood for ribs.
    Happy egging. :)
    Ron
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Adam,[p]You are getting answers on the new forum.[p]1. The best indirect method is to use a plate setter. You should always fill the firebox up to the level of the fire ring to achieve maximum burn time. Yes to get the egg to 250 dome you need to have the vents almost completely closed.[p]2. You really aren't suppose to have "overwhelming smoke". If you didn't add any wood chunks or chips (pecan, hickory, apple, cherry) all you are going to get is the flavor imparted by the oak the lump is made from. Oak is an extremely mild wood and imparts very little flavor.[p]3. Refer to answers 1 and 2.[p]
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    First question I would have is you said 'get my temp DOWN to 250'??..you should sneak UP on the 250..not over heat the egg and then damp down to cool it...for a lo n slo fire, build it slowly..I use the small weber firestarter packets (they're about 2" square) and I only light using 3 of them on a large egg..one each at 3,6,and 9 o'clock. Fill the lump to the bottom of your fire ring..let the the coals smolder for 5 mins or so after the starters go out, then close the lid, close the bottom vent about half way and the daisy about halfway and as the temp begins to rise continue closing these down so that you ease up on 250...once there, it should start to stabilize. Once you've held 250 for 30 mins or so..add some wood chunks and let it smoke till all the ugly white smoke is gone..when she's really perking you'll have a steady 250 and some puffs of blue smoke..then it's time to add your meat..put it on either with a platesetter and grid or grid, drip pan, meat. Close the lid and dont open again for several hours...there are tons of 'process' posts on these forums..I'm sure if you do a search you will find plenty of info about how to do this type of cook...good luck!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Adam,

For a 250° dome temp on my large. The lower vent is about 1/8" open (width of a quarter).

The top slidder is closed, the pettels are about 1/3 to 1/2 open.

For smoke flavor I use a chunk of wood. However, it seems if I want a more smokey flavor in the meat I use apple or cherry wood chips.

I make 3 foil boats about 4 to 5 inches long and about 2 inches wide. I soak the chips and put a good amount in each boat. I then put some water in the boat and fold the foil up so there are no leaks. I put some one of the boats right in the red coals. One is placed close to some lump that is close to lighting the other is in the black area of the non burning lump.

I then take a palm full of dry chips and spread them over the burning and non burning lump. This ends up providing flavor smoke throught 4 to 5 hours of a cook. It seems this gives me more smoke flavor than just using chunks.

Everyone is going to accomplish a more smoke flavor in their own way so there should be a lot of responses.

GG