Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket a tasket

Options
Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well It was a beautiful day until then it became a dark and stormy day. It all began around dawn when I prep the Egg for my first brisket. I filled the lump to the fire ring, started the fire and got it going real good. I put the plate setter and the grid on and brought the temp down to 250. I set the timers for nine hours and placed the probe in the brisket. I quickly put the brisket on the grid fat side down and added the extender as I wanted to slow cook my beans. Watch the temp for an hour and it stayed at 250. I said to myself how hard can cooking a brisket be. I left for my workout came back about an hour and half later. Looked at the temp and it was stable at 250. Now I am becoming really smug and saying boy will this look and smell good at the end of 9 or 10 hours. I now begin my prep for the beans. At this point I should have known the day was going to turn stormy as I did not have any Navy beans but what the heck with enough of heat and other flavors so no one will know the difference. Beans are ready to go on the Egg. I look at my Poulder and the brisket is reading 145 not bad after being into the cook 4 hours. I left the dome and quickly place the DO with the beans on extender. It doesn't close. I try again and it doesn't close. The temp probe is hitting the lid so know way will it fit. I remove the DO and move it to the stove. Close the and weight for the Egg temp to rise back to 250. Time goes bye about 15 minutes and Egg dome temp still reads 110 or so but I hear sizzling. How can that be. I slowly lift the lid and now I am shy some forearm hair.That is OK it will go well with my bald dome. again I look at the Egg's temp Gage and it still reads 110 or so ut the brisket has raised to 185 degrees. Now being the smart intelligent person that I am I know something is not right. I take my thermopen and insert through one of the small holes in the top. I stand in amazement as it rises to well over 600 degrees, no wonder I lost my hair. I look at the dome thermometer and it still only reads 110 or so. I now shut down the Egg to lower the heat but to late. The temp on the probe is 190. I verified it with my instant read so I remove the Brisket. Here it is:

002-1.jpg

Charred and no ring and my wife tell me it is tough.

Epilogue: The day was actually very pretty with the temps in the sixties and sunny. Also the fault was not with the dome thermometer, it was with me. I bent the probe when I tried to force the dome to close. My wife will go out to dinner tonight. Now how tough can it be cooking a brisket? Ask me next time

They confession si good for the soul

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Dutch Oven with lid on = Taking a shower with a rain coat and hat on.

Sorry to hear about your thermometer.

GG
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    John.......it´s not that difficult.....look....just get the temp at 225° or so........but..very important use your plate setter and a drip pan.....add some red wine in the pan........I ususlly only put salt & pepper to the brisket......and of course your favourite smoke wood. Good Luck
  • John,

Am I looking at your photo correctly? Did you slice it with the grain? It also looks like some of the fat didn't render out. Go back and try slicing aginst the grain and see what happens. And, all my not be lost, chop the sucker up into small pieces throw then on a pan with your favorite BBQ sauce and simmer for a few minutes. You might be surprised.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Overall the brisket wasn't all that bad but I credit that to the Egg because it is very difficult to make shoe leather on the egg. It was quite moist, now I will either cut up and pretend it is BBQ or make Chile out of it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice try anyway. Lessons learned, huh?
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    didn't see anything there about adding wood for smoke... hence, no smoke ring.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante