Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone tried Bison?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ahve the oportunity to purchase some Bison back ribs and Bison ny strip steaks. Has any one tried this meat and how does it cook and taste?

Comments

• elmuyloco5
    Options
    We make bison burgers (ground bison is the only available bison near us). It's very good. It tends to fall apart more easily than regular hamburger, so we usually add something to help bind it, like oatmeal. It's also very good crumbled on pizza.

It's much leaner than beef, but still remains juicy when cooked.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I have done Bison Ribeyes and burgers. They are good and much better for you than beef. Make sure you don't overcook them. The taste is not that much different than beef. Never did ribs.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I do bison frequently. In fact, tonights dinner will be bison chili (not Egg'd, tho'.) Over all, the 2 big things that make bison different from beef is the lack of fat, and the sometimes extreme toughness of connective tissue. So anything you can do to keep them from drying out while naking them tender is good. The steaks and back ribs should not be much of a problem.

I do bison steaks just like beef, searing them after a period of "hot tubbing." T-Rexing works fine, too.

I haven't done back ribs for awhile. I'd recommend keeping some foil handy to finish a lo-n-slo with them wrapped with some fluid. More or less 3-1-1 method. I've also had good results with brushing on just a bit of oil at the beginning, and then late in the cook to keep the moisture sealed in the meat.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Can you explain the term "Hot Tubbing".

Thanks
  • Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what you mean by "hot tubbing" so if you could elaborate, I would appreciate it. I'm going to gives the ribs a try in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how they turned out.
    Thanks again, your knowledge is appreciated!
  • gdenby
    Options
    "Hot tubbing" is sealing the steak in a plastic bag with as much air as possible squeezed out, and then immersing it in hot water so that the internal temperature comes up to 120 - 130 before ever touching fire. Depending on the thickness and temperature of the steak, and how hot your tap gets, it may take half an hour. Plenty of time to get the Egg loaded, and fired up.

It is recommended that the steaks be at least 1.5" thick, because thinner cuts will cook so fast that they will most likely end up medium to well done.

I rub my steaks first. That way the warmth helps melt the salt and sugar in the rub into the meat.
  • gdenby
    Options
    For hot tubbing, see post just above.

The last back-ribs I did were from some South Dakota pure grass fed bison. Great big bones, immensly thick cartiledge. Very much from an animal out on the wide range, and fairly difficult to cook. Since then, I've had bison from Minnesota, and for the last 2 years, from here in Indiana. The flavor isn't any better, but they are just a bit more tender, and have a little bit of fat. I've got 2 packages of short ribs just waiting for company to come over.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Thanks for the answer. I will need to try that.
  • Thanks for the info. The Bison will be from a Bison farm/ranch located in Wisconsin. I'll let you know how they were. This will be an interseting cook. Thanks for your ideas on cooking this type of meat. I will also try the 'hot-tubbing' method.
    Thanks again.
  • Hugh Does Cue
    Options
    we do Bison steaks a couple of times a year.

Pretty good.

Great if you have any dieters joining you for dinner who crave bbq'd meat and want to go as fat-free as possible.