Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I installed the Rutland gasket on my Kamado about 3 months ago and it has since delaminated. Pretty sure I followed all the directions OK. Are there any other options out there other than the felt OEM gasket? I've heard of the nomex version coming from BGE but I was told at the dealer yesterday that it's still in development. Help!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    use high temp silicone adhesive if you are determined to stay with the rutland. it won't let go, and prep is minimal.

there is an automotive gasket adhesive that is available, rated to 600 or so, but you'll never get the rim of the egg to 600 anyway.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    delaminated? was it a peel and stick? Email me if you wish to discuss it further, but I don't recall you purchased it from me. Otherwise people seem to be liking the new Nomex gasket - but you have to deal with Atlanta.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That is what I used - 600* RTV automotive silicone adhesive.

It was about $4 at O'Reilly. Comes in a tube like toothpaste. It goes on thick. I used a mortar spreader to get it uniform, then pressed on the Rutland gasket. It has held perfectly since and shows no signs of letting up.

It is red going on, and dries red, so be sure to clean really well around the edges before it dries.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i used rutland cement twice... since it's water-based, a couple of things can go wrong. the ceramic can be too dirty, or the ceramic can wick the moisture out before it cures, or the stuff can just be old....

i tore off the old rutland, put on another new one(with rutland cement again) after prepping the rim like the bajeezus.

it eventually came off.

in frustration, i lifted the old rutland off, and squeezed a bead of the silicone on the uncleaned rim, slapping the rutland (with old adhesive still stuck to it) into the goop. no trowel, no prep, no nuthin.

it's still there, stuck fast, more than a year later.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Pretty much the same routine for me, but I skipped the rutland cement since I had the self-adhesive gasket.

I prepped, cleaned, used an orbital sander, yada yada yada.

It lasted about a week so I went straight to the silicone.