Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help decide my next Eggecessory

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Which would be the better addition-- 1) the WOO2 or the 2) adjustable rig.

I like the WOO2 because it raises the grid to just below the felt line and could extend up from there. Plus it seems like it would be easier to use. Not sure about the adjustable rig. If anyone has either which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks
Alwaysgolf

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I can recommend the 2" fire ring to you. It puts the grid lower for indirect cooks, so you won't bump anything you've got stacked on the grids with the dome thermometer, and because it'll bring the grid just below the felt line if you stack it on top of the regular (I believe 4") fire ring.

Sorry, I don't own any of Tom's stuff yet--just waiting to acquire the XL first. Hope this helped.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i like the adjustable setup because its higher, i cook alot raised grill direct as high in the dome as possible, get the spider too, it comes in handy.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I have both. I use the Adjustable most of the time.

I only use the Woo for some grilling but I use the Rig for grilling also.

Spacey
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If you want to get creative on cooking, the best combo is the adjustable rig special. It offers multiple set up options. If you cook multiple butts, four or five per cook, get the adjustable rig as it provides ample space between grids for air flow. If you think you'll want to slide grids, again the adjustable rig, as the slide guides system uses the adjustable rig for a platform. With the adjustable rig, you can go indirect or add wood chunks easily. The adjustable rig special includes the spider which a lot of folks like to use.

If you are looking for a simple way to raise the grid or do mostly one grid cooks, then the woo2 special is all you need. With the woo2 extender, you can set a grid above the felt line when the urge strikes for raised grid or two grid cooks. With the woo2 the grid height(s) are fixed at the felt line and 3.5 inches above the felt line.

I get the Rig vs. Woo2 question a lot. Just ask yourself two simple questions: (1) Do I have the need to get creative with set-ups. If yes, then the adjustable rig combo is recommended. If no, then the woo2 combo will suffice. (2) Do I cook multiple pork butts? If yes, then it's the rig combo. If no, again the woo2 will suffice.

One last note, if you are comfortable cooking on the egg, then the learning curve with the pieces is not long or difficult. It will take a tad longer with the rig as it has more set up possibilities.

Hope this helps. Tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • JudyFoodie
    JudyFoodie Posts: 124
    Options
    I can't speak for the woo2 but I have the rig and find it very versatile (especially if you're looking at one day adding those sliding grids to your set up). I prefer cooking higher in the dome where the temp is more accurate with the temp reading. I also don't like burnt food so this is a plus for me. I also have other ways to cook close to the felt line like using my platesetter for indirects or using my firebricks which I purchased before the adj rig came into my life.

What drew me to the rig, because Iike you I couldn't decide between the two, was the option to use the half grid higher in the dome and do 2 level cooking. I know the woo2 can do this too but because you've got 6 inches between grids on the rig, there's more room to manoeuver in. Plus you have more ability to cook different foods at different temperatures because of the varying temps between dome and fire ring level.

Tom has a special on the rig including the spider which is a must have for me because I want to do stir frying outside and this sealed the deal for me going the rig way.

I love the rig and would choose it again. The only downside for me is that I'm not very tall so sometimes its harder to flip the meat over because my arm is raised higher than I'd like. Also, depending on how much food you've loaded around the outside rim of the raised grid, you need to be careful to lower the dome just right.
  • BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    Options
    Great Advice! Do any of you have the website for these items? Thanks -
  • fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• tjv
    Options
    that's handy feedback, thanks. the extra two inches on the half grid does make handling easier below.....
  • tjv
    Options
    I too use the Rig more than the woo2. Sometimes I wonder if it's just because of routine or I like it better. Hard for me to say, kinda like picking one child over another, LOL. T
  • tjv
    Options
    I'd bet a cold beer you use the spider more inverted, out of the fire ring, than the spider sitting in the fire ring....LOL. T
  • fishlessman
    Options
    yep, works better for deep frying and my pizza setup, i think you built it upsidown ;) i do sometimes put it in hanging down for indirects when cooking alot of stuff at one time as well.
    fukahwee maine

• tjv
    Options
    upside down, :lol: