Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good All-Around Thermometer

Options
BigChar
BigChar Posts: 113
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy All - Newbie here. Looking for some input on a good all-purpose Thermometer. I'd likely use it more for the Slow and Low cooks. I have seen a myriad of different ones out there which seems to lead me to confusion..... Thoughts?

Also, does an infrared thermo check only surface temp?

Thanks for the input -

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Yes, non-contact infrared only get you surface temperature.

I've used a series of consumer-grade thermocouple-based temperature devices, and haven't been overly impressed with their durability, but the Polder was probably the best of the lot. I haven't tried one yet, but others like their Maverick-brand units, too.
  • BigChar
    Options
    Thanks - I have seen that Polder name crop up often.....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Around here the name Polder is more generic than an actual brand though Polder is a true brand. There are many similar products on the market and rumor has it that all are made in just two factories overseas! That is, my Pyrex may look identical to your Polder and to someone else's Acme. Generally speaking they are a unit with 1 or 2 probes and fry at 396°.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    It's fairly inexpensive ($20-25) and has decent features. Note that it's not hardened to outdoor use, so you might want to put it in a water-tight container of some sort.
  • BigChar
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'll stat surfing around for a good acquisition point -
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I would recommend the Thermapen. It is more expensive however it is an instant read which is nice because you don't have to keep the dome open long. I find it works very well. I also have the Polder and like it for long cooking.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I'll second the thermopen. Check with MollyShark thats where I got mine. She negotiates with them and passes the savings on. Yea they are not cheap but they are good. Great service from Molly or you can go direct for a reconditioned,, Think about mid $40 range.

Pat
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Over time you will eventually end up with at least two thermometers.

Maverick ET-73 Remote dual (pit & meat) thermometer.

Here is a description and a pretty good price Maverick ET-73

You will find your cooking will greatly improve if you will invest in a Thermopen.

As stated above you can get a recondidtioned direct @ Thermoworks or contact Molyshark here on the forum. The Thermopens are available many other places as well as at Fred's Music & BBQ[/img] for $89 free shipping.

I have bought a lot of different thermometers trying to save some money. Finally I followed the suggestions given here on the fourm. I would have saved a lot of money if I would have just purchased the ET-73 and Thermopen in the first place.

GG
  • KickapooBBQ
    Options
    Why would a thermocouple like thermapen cost so much? Is it reliable, will it last?
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Since it's an instant-read as opposed to an implantable remote t/c, it should last as long as it's cared for properly. The down side of the Thermapen is that you have to open the Egg to get a reading, although the Thermapens are better than most in this regard because of their speed. I'd restrict its usage to things that don't lend themselves to an implantable t/c, like steaks or chicken parts.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The Thermopen costs what it does most likely because of quality, accuracy and the company is in the UK. Sent over here to Thermoworks for distribution.

Yes, for a thermometer it is expensive. I would be surprised if there is one person on the forum who owns a Thermopen that would say they wish they wouldn't have bought the Thermopen.

I am sure a lot of us would say we sure wish it was less expensive.

Be careful there are several look-a-like Thermopens out there don't get fooled and only buy a Thermopen.

I have purchased enough of the other so called instant thermometers, dial and digital to probably buy two Thermopens. I would have been much happier and have cooked better sooner if I would have purchased the Thermopen first.

I use the Thermopen on most everything except hot dogs. Longer cooks or low & slow cooks I use the dome and or Maverick for a guide. When getting close I use the Thermopen for the final doneness.

When food is cooked to the right temp it simply tastes better. It is hard to screw up cooking on the egg and combine that with using a Thermopen just makes the cooks fantastic.

GG
  • BigChar
    Options
    Thanks to all for the great advice! I figured I would end up with a few of each of the different types finding what works best. Your experiences helped me save some dough in the long run. I appreciate the guidance!
  • BigChar
    Options
    BTW, How do I reach MollyShark?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
  • BigChar
    Options
    OK....mot much of a techie - I just start a new thread entitled PING Mollyshark? is that right?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    She'll answer this one when she see it''
  • BigChar
    Options
    Gotcha - thanks.
  • jodijojo
    jodijojo Posts: 7
    Options
    I just got an egg.
    I would like to buy a thermapen too, so if molly shark is out there- please contact me, too!
    thx!
  • jodijojo
    jodijojo Posts: 7
    Options
    i think i"ll have to get in on one those thermapens too.
  • The Lake Man
    Options
    Make that 3 or 4 or whatever it is now for total people!!
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    Another vote for the Maverick 73 and Thermapen combination. I made the investment in both and have had great luck with both. I did call and buy the refurbished thermapen and was told it still has a 6 month warrenty and that they have never had one returned a second time, just as an FYI.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    A few notes on the Maverick unit which I just learned the hard way:

Maverick makes two models which are nearly identical: ET-7 and ET-73. They have nearly the same features and same price range but the 73 is for smokers. The only difference I could find was that the 73 lets you set both Hi and Lo temps for the alarm, where the 7 only allows you to set a Hi value. Also, the 73 has one probe for the smoker pit and one for the meat, and they are not the same. The special high temp probe can be ordered separately and is good for use with meat or the smoker pit.

You can order the replacement probes but the high temp probe is not listed as such, it is listed as a "6FT FOOD" probe. I just confirmed all of this with Maverick on the phone and they said the high temp probes are safe up to 536. Amazon has the best price that I could find on the ET-73 since they include free shipping: here is the link. If you want to order new Maverick probes then click here for the factory order form.

The reason I messed up was that Amazon sells both the ET-7 and ET-73, and both have good reviews with comments from grillers and smokers, and both are about the same price. So I am sending my ET-7 back, which did work fine by the way, but I need the Lo temp alarm too or I can't sleep in peace.
  • BigChar
    Options
    Hey All - The best way to get Mollyshark is to email her from her profile. FYI - she is getting one out to me pretty quick. Thanks -