Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bordello - Pig Candy Malfunction

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried your Raspberry Chipolte/Rum Pig Candy (http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=414986&catid=1) tonight and something must have gone terribly wrong. It was burned totally black after only 45 minutes @ 350° indirect. Had to chunk it.

Any ideas? Got some more bacon and might try again tomorrow but I'll keep a very close eye on it after about five minutes on...

Spring "Some Pig Died In Vain" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Damn Leroy,
    What did you do? :( :( :(
    I used thick sliced bacon. I did it in my large and had to use the plate setter to hold the drip pan as that is all I had. Mine went over an hour at 350 and a little higher. I cut the temp back as it was creeping closer to 400.

Not sure which size egg you used but maybe even with the same temp if you were closer to the fire might have made a difference. Now, my was a little chewy so the next moring I nuked some for one min. and it did turn much darker then what my picture post showed but was still quite good. Did you also have the brown sugar and cinnamon?? I did but used it lightly.

So sorry yours did not turn out so good. :(

Tears,
    Bordello
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    YEH! Lay off the rum! See you thursday. LOL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Leroy, you didn't ask me, but being a Saturday night and knowing Bordello like I do he's probably out chasing skirts. Anywho...when I've made pig candy I go indirect at 300 for 20 minutes and flip for another 20. Your 350 and 45 just sounds like the culprits.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    sorry Bob for blowing your cover - I should have said "knowing Bordello like I do he's probably out scouting parking places for church in the morning." :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Options
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Yes,
    Always chasing skirts, someone has to do it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A great weekend to ya Ron,
    Bordello
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Large Egg, indirect setup with drip pan and accurate thermometer.

I'm thinking 20 minutes is more like it. We'll see.

Spring "Punching Out For Tonight" Chicken
  • Bordello
    Options
    Here is what I followed but used the plate setter,drip pan, bacon on main grid. Also cooked longer then the link.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pigcandy.htm

Good Luck,
    Bordello