Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Roast

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife brought home the butt portion of a beef tenderloin yesterday so we had it for dinner tonight. I rubbed it with some Billy Bones Beefmaster rub / black pepper and then seared it at around 550f for 90 seconds a side.

Then I put it into a v-rack on a drip pan filled with 3 cups of beef broth, a quartered onion, a minced clove of garlic, and a cup of sliced mushrooms. I cooked it indirect at 350 until it hit 128 internal and let it rest for 10 minutes.

100_8073Medium.jpg

It was tender and delicious, although I would have preferred it to be more rare (had kids spending the night that liked it more done).

100_8078Medium.jpg

100_8080Medium.jpg

I served it with a saffron rice pilaf (thanks again mother in law for the saffron threads!), steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and french onion rolls. Good stuff!
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Looks like some tasty meat Chris.Hope everyone enjoyed it. :)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    What a delicious looking delicacy!!!! Felicidades!!! Always use red wine....never tried it with beef broth...must try some time.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Great lookin eats there Chris!..thx for the pix...
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well i figured out what i need to ask my meat guy if he can find one of those.. it looks kinda like a rib eye but diffrent. what does one of those usually run a pound?

p.s. we have got to come up with a diffrent thing to call our meat guys (and gals). i mean are they really a butcher? it has been a while since i proabably seen a butcher like sam (the butcher off of brady bunch). so if anyone has and idea let me know. or tell me that i am wrong in thinkning that my guy at publix is not really a butcher.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Oh, my!

I gotta stop looking at these pics!

I got oatmeal for grunts, today...

:angry:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Very nice, Chris. I read a post around Christmas where someone actually sliced off a small portion of the roast (maybe one bone's worth...) and cooked it a tad longer so that they ended up with the best of both worlds--a roast that was properly cooked, and a small section of the roast cooked a bit more for the family members who didn't quite like all the red/pink/blood. Everyone was happy according to the post.

The roast you did looks great!
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    You got that right, Publix has meat cutters not Butchers. Anyway thats what I call them. Real butchers are hard to find these days.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Thanks Mike. That's a good idea :)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Krusty
    Krusty Posts: 77
    Options
    They sell whole beef tenderloins at Costco. You can cut the butt end off for a roast like this and then cut the rest of the tenderloin into steaks (or cook whole also). I just picked on up three weeks ago and paid $8.99 a pound. The Costo that I go to will not do any meat cutting for you, you have to be your own meat cutter.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    That's what we do normally, but we get our tenderloins from Butler & Bailey Market running 9.99 a lb. They are usually about half a dollar cheaper than Sam's Club, but haven't seen any around Knoxville as low as $8.99 a lb :(

I also like to take the "chain of bull" portion that you cut off the side of the tenderloin and carefully trim it into fat pieces and meat pieces. Then I make an 80/20 mix (by weight) and run it through the meat grinder to make some darn good burgers!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This