Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get my egg over 550

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With the top and bottom all the way open, I can't get my egg over 550 after 1 hour. Do i need more or less lump? How long should it take to reach 700?[p]I have cooked on my egg 6 times in two weeks. Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Bogey, check the usuals:
    1. Do you have ash or small pieces of lump blocking the air holes in the firebox or grate?
    2. Is there two much ash beneath the grate?
    3. Was the lump unsually small or moist?
    4. Do you have the hole in the firebox lined up with the bottom vent?
    5. Did you have enough lump in the firebox to get the temperature up?
    After that I might be at a loss. Maybe someone else can add to the list.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Bogey,[p]i'm sure others will chime in pretty soon and you'll end up getting the top temps you want soon.[p]the problem is figuring out whether there's something basic you've taken for granted. Personally, I like to take the BGE ash tool (look at the main site for a pic) and stir up the ashes from the last cook. This knocks off a lot of dust and lets the residual lump catch fire. Then I top off the old lump with new lump up to the top of the firering. How much lump, and whether it is an inch lower or higher than the firering isn't too important to me. [p]For a hot fire - over 550º - I like to do one of two things. Either I light from below from the ash chamber - after I've cleaned it out. Or I light from the top with a propane or MAPP torch. If I light from the bottom I take a couple of firestarter cubes (weber's product) put them in the ash chamber beneath and light'em up. I do this if I am not in a rush and I want to avoid as many hot spots as I can once the fire gets really cranked up. (BTW, some folks light their fires from the bottom no matter what temp they're shooting for.) If I am in a rush I light several spots on top (4 or more) with a propane or MAPP torch. If you don't use propane or MAPP torches, and you do use fire cubes, you could just toss two or three on top. If you don't use a torch or cubes, how do you start your fire?[p]Two final things. Make sure the opening of your ash chamber is aligned with your lower vent. Check your grate to see if it's clogged up.[p]Hope this helps.
    CB

• char buddy ,[p]Thanks for the tips. I use an electric starter. Do you put lump to the top of the fire ring or the top of the fire box?

• Wise One,[p]I probably don't have enough lump in the firebox. How full should it be? Thanks for the tips.[p]Bogey
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Bogey, it doesn't have to be bulging full but you should have it at least up to the airholes in the side of the firebox. One other item is to make sure you have fresh lump in the firebox. I have found that lump left over from a previous cook does not seem to get as hot as quick as fresh lump. Even a mixture seems to keep the temp down a bit.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Bogey,
    It shouldn't matter too much either way on a hot cook. Best I know, how high you fill it mainly affects how long you're gonna cook. I mainly worry about something like that for a real long, slow cook.Even if you were gonna a hot cook long enough to deplete your fire box in one go, you'd just re-fill and start again. Personally, I fill to the the fire ring just out of habit. [p]Next time you're shopping try those fire starter cubes. or if you really want to have fun, try out one of those MAPP torches. Whoooooooo.

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Bogey,[p]I've been using my egg for just under a year now. When I first started I found out that my problem with not getting high temps were due to lack of lump. So make sure you have plenty of lump in Mr. Humpty and you should be fine!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    Bogey,
    I had a little trouble in the beginning also, but it's pretty simple to get a scortcher going. You wont always have to follow these steps but it will help this time.[p]1. Start with a clean Egg (remove any ash/lump)
    2. Use large lump pieces for the first layer of lump that sits directly on the fire grate. This will ensure that you will have plenty of air flow, your main source for heat.
    3. I don't use a electric starter, but since you do I would put it in now on top of the large lump then just dump in lump untill it fills just above the vent hole on the sides. This way when you pull out your electric starter you wont plug up the air holes in the fire grate.
    4. Open top and bottom vent all the way.[p]I have found that once your at 300 to 400 your only about five minutes from 750. This takes me about 25 minutes and I use the fire cubes placed on top of my lump. I guess it will take you less time to get up to temp.[p]Good luck and I hope this helps...[p]BobbyG