Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question about cooking at an eggfest...

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
asked this way below, where it got mired...

does a volunteer cook at an eggfest typically need to still pay an entrance fee even though they are bearing their own expenses for food (not to mention travel, etc.)?

just seemed odd, but then again, i haven't gone to one of these things and don't know the details.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    No, If you register as a cook they waive the entrance fee

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Depends on the fest, some do some don't. -RP
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Hey,

The short answer is yes. Cooks usually pay a lower fee than the "eaters" Cooks also pay for the food they will pass out.

Now that I think about it something just doesn't smell right here. Lemme think on this and I'll get back to you.

Did you take your meds this morning? Hehehehe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i should throw one of these, everyone bring me money and food, it should be upscale too, prime dry aged meat only, maybe some lobster and scollops
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    At Eggs by the Bay, no fee for those who cook.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    maybe i could put a list of acceptable meats at the Meat House and eveyone could pick from that
    fukahwee maine

• Sundown
    Options
    now you're just getting harsh! Lobstah should be on the menu as well.
  • Sundown
    Options
    What a concept!! Give the "cookers" free everything because without them you wouldn't have a fest. Might sound a little confrontational but it's meant to be more a wake up.

It'll cost me $80 for entry and meet and greet and $220 for a room to stay over. THEN, I have to buy the ingredients I'll be cooking with.

IDEA: _________________________ (fill in the blank.)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You know, Carey, sometimes you make a lot of sense! :woohoo:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Sounds like you would be better off staying home.
  • Sundown
    Options
    Don't let that get out! It'll ruin my image.

Did I see you're going to be in Waldorf? I'm trying to get my schedule (and I'm retired!) together and sign up.

Want to get MollyShark there too. Waldorf is where we met. The 2000 fest in Waldorf.

Sorry I'm not going to be in Ocala with you guys. Give the Chubster a big hug and a kiss for me. Hehehehe.

How's it going?
  • Sundown
    Options
    Gotta put in appearance and keep stike in line. Be difficult NOT to go because we've always wanted one in the territory. I'll support it and lobby for cooks to ride free. Don't mind the hotel cost though.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    We're planning on Waldorf. Gonna be bad in Florida this year without you and Monica both!! :(
  • Sundown
    Options
    Why thank you. I'll relay that to her in a few minutes when I call her.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i got sundown on the list for the lobstahs, maybe socially unacceptable could bring the steamers. if they do a meat and greet, did they say where
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    yeah

that's what i'm thinking. i'll go, but probably as a guest (non-cook).

i was trying to ask the question rhetorically, but it's obvious what fest i was referring to. nottrying to start anything, and $15 isn't a lot of cash, but if i were gonna demo paella (thanks to the whiz for his step-by-step), that $15 could go toward some great seafood....

(and rabbit!)
  • stike
    Options
    by "sometimes" i'm assuming you mean "rarely"?
    heh heh heh
  • stike
    Options
    the wife is headed up there today, to visit her dad. i been hankerin for some dry-aged rib eye.

hey
    how's the merrimack? we lost all our snow in a day, no flooding, but i see folks are watching the river and referring back to the "mother's day" flooding as though tthis melt-off might be another bad one.

you packing sandbags?
  • stike
    Options
    (i don't think they hang out on the forum...)

what are you cooking?

i may go as a guest and bounce between bothering you, and 'helping' essexco. dunno if i can stand in one spot and cook all day.
  • yes and they expect me to remove the hot coals and take down the demo egg to cool it off for the purchaser as well . i always leave irritated.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    It all depends on the fest and I guess to some degree on the goodie bag, sponsors, size of the outfit holding the shindig and such. I know from my experiences, it would be cheaper not to cook than to cook, but then where is the fun in that.

When you fly to an event, you easily spend the entry fee buying the nonfood items. That cheapo styro cooler is a perfect example.....

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    Options
    crap, screwed up another post location.......sorry Little Steven. T
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. i hear that. it was hard to ask this question and have it not sound cheap.
    it was more of a "i never noticed this before, because i never considered flying to georgia to cook".

just seemed odd they'd charge, but $15 isn't going to break the bank either.

but i'd rather dump another $15 into scallops and mahogany clams or smoked cherrystones
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    At the Florida Fest the extra money goes back to the park and the "cooks" are the only ones who qualify for the drawings for door prizes. If you don't want to pay to cook then be a guest.

Either way I bet you have a lot of fun. B)

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I think we should have T-shirts made up saying "Eggheads Fly Free on Continental" (or other airlines) and wear them when we fly to Eggfests just to make passengers and crew ask who we are and how did we get free seats.

That should stir the pot a bit.

Just another way to make flying fun...

Spring "Up Up And Away..." Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • tjv
    Options
    I'm running the New England fest past the wife as she has a sister in Mass. Is it end of june or july. T
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hey Tom, did you go to Florida last year? -RP
  • stike
    Options
    if i go, i'm going to phony-up some "ACESS ALL AREAS" backstage-pass kinda dealios.
  • stike
    Options
    i always have fun (that's often the problem).

stikey allatime bringz da pahty!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    In the case of Waldorf eggfest, the fee covers Steve's most excellent blues band and a bunch of other extras and perks that make the day run smoothly and as comfortably as possible.

john