Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weather today

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have 1/2 inch of ice with snow to follow. Will the tops of these pines grow back? Thanks, Tom Icestorm2008.jpgIcestorm2.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    WOW, that is what we have coming tonight :( It is 47 out right now, that is like a freakin heat wave. when I look out side it looks like it is raining the snow is melting so fast off the porch. Julie
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Nope they wont grow back. The other branches may take over and start growing straight up towards the sun but it will not grow back where it broke out.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Some proper trimming by a skilled arborist would be your best bet for recovery.

Rascal
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    DHall wrote:
    Nope they wont grow back. The other branches may take over and start growing straight up towards the sun but it will not grow back where it broke out.

That looks like the power company tree trimmers came by your place.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    If you're east of St. Louis, here's what Mother Nature has in store for you:

DSC00274.jpg
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I would suggest, with a mature tree like that -- Remove the tree and plant as tall a tree as you can afford that a nursery will guarantee... Usually in the 12'-16' range.

Even if you have a skillful technician trim the tree, it will always be misshaped, etc.

As soon as Spring has Sprung, I'd have the done -- so that you'll have time on this side of the veil to enjoy it.

It of weren't a pine, I'd have it trimmed. But pines grow upon lead stems... and that has gone for good.

If you team up with a good nurseryman, he can order a tree to suit your needs. Generally, they'll guarantee transplanting a pine/spruce/etc variety trunk up to 2". If you know the dealer well, he may get you a bigger tree, and if it doesn't take, will give you a replacement at his cost.

Sorry to see you lose such a tree. These wondrous beauties are like children to us... we name them, and know they'll [generally] outlive us... and out children!

Good luck!

~ Broc

:)
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    Get out there and EGG!!!!

John
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Damn right I am...chicken legs and sauteed shrimp on the menu tonight :woohoo:
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm east of St. Louis just 12 miles. Had to drive home in that today and it took nearly 3 hrs to get there from St. Charles.

What's your 10-20 Jeffersonian?

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I'm in Kirkwood and, fortunately, I get to work from home. Though today that meant the three boys and wife (a teacher in the district) running wild, so not a lot of work got done.

Twelve miles east...Fairview Heights?
  • BajaTom
    Options
    The snow went north of us. We are 60 miles due east of St Louis along I64. We got over 1/2 inch of ice before any snow. Now I'm worried about the wind that's suppose to come tonight. As I type the lights have blinked a couple of times. Wish us luck. It could be a long, cold night. Tom
  • BajaTom
    Options
    Where are you from, Cahokia, Collinville, Edwardsville, Bellville, Granite City, Wood River, St Clair or Sauget? I'm in Centralia. We need a midwest fest in the St Louis area. Good luck to ya, Tom
  • BajaTom
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Tom
  • Braddog
    Options
    Swansea actually. But I pickup the Interstate in Fairview Heights every morning.

Sweet gig...working from home. It was a great day to stay in. I spent over an hour setting on 270 without moving.

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • Braddog
    Options
    I'm in Swansea/Belleville. I went to school at a little country school between Centralia & Salem when I was a kid (Raccoon). My grandparents and a bunch of family live(d) in that area. We lost my grandfather this past summer.

I'd be up for a midwest fest and know a few eggers/ceramic cooks who would probably participate.

Cheers,
    Braddog