Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pizza Napolentana (long)

Willie Lump LumpWillie Lump Lump Posts: 229
edited 4:58AM in EggHead Forum
I promised updates as this experiment progressed.. This weeks Pizza Napoletana attempt was more successful but I still have a few obstacles.
The crust was pretty good, not perfect but pretty good.
16 oz weighed King Arthur Bread Flour
12 Oz liquid measure filtered water COLD
1tsp SAF instant yeast
2 Tsp sea salt

I put 12 oz of the flour and all the water and Yeast in the food processor and mixed for 30 seconds.
This made a mix like pancake batter. I let this rest for 20 minutes (Autolyse) then put the rest of the flour and salt.
I mixed this untill it reached a temp of 85 degrees F. This took longer then expected probably because the dough was much wetter then what I ussually do. Formed the dough into two balls and put into two separate plastic containers. Rested at room temp 15 minutes then refrigerated for two days.
The dough was very easy to work into pizza rounds. I just dropped it out of the bowl and formed it directly into pizza rounds. I did not try to work the dough in any way I just formed the rounds.

The sauce was copied from http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/ and was very simple. I used Wet mozzerella for the first time and this also worked well. The fresh basil at my local market didn’t look to fresh so I used dry.

Now for the cook:
Loaded the Egg with what I thought would be plenty of lump. Installed the platesetter face up and put my stone on the Egg feet on top. Took the cap completely off and opened the vent. All looked good and in 30 minutes temp read 750. I thought great I’ll let everything soak up that heat and I’ll be good to go. Came out a half hour later and the Temp read 650. Put the Pizza on and could see that I was running out of fuel. This was my first try at running my egg wide open and I didn’t expect it to go through fuel like it did.

First Pizza took five minutes. Crust had NO char but was browned. The texture was very pleaseing. Full of good sized bubbles and pretty light. I will be doing my dough like this again.
Second pizza was the same but opening and closeing the Egg dropped the temp even more.
Lesson learned next time more lump!
WLL

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,193
    Yeah, it always surprises me after a bunch of low temp cooks how fast high temp runs thru the lump.

Great link to the pizza page. Its worth looking over carefully.