Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Hamburger

Options
carpetman
carpetman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everyone has that 1 friend that always has something to say about your food (although they can't grill). Well that friend is coming over tomorrow. I need a "Kick-Ass" Burger recipe. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Minced onions, Worchestershire sauce, A sweet bbq sauce and fried bacon. Depends on how many burgers. About a tbls of wor. and 1 of bbq sauce per lb. Maybe go 2 on the sauce.

vdburger4.jpg

vdburger5.jpg

onburger1.jpg

The aroma of the onions and bbq sauce are great. I would ask him to do better. :evil:

I'm sure there will be others.

Mike
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that sounds great mike i think i may try it in the future but i am really trying not to eat burgers much.... but i did notice that you do the same thing i do and poke a hole in it... thats great except for that friend who says "we having meat doughnuts" dumba55!! ;)B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• lowercasebill
    Options
    some one posted a pic of a happy face made out of onion pieces stuck in a hamburger. hopefully some will read and post it and i will look for it. sounds like the perfect thing for your friend.
  • carpetman
    Options
    I can't see your pictures, but the recipe sounds great. I might do a trial run this evening.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I forgot to resize. :ohmy:
    Try again. They always appear on Classic view.
    Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    And he cooks you WHAT? :laugh:

Mike
  • carpetman
    Options
    That would be about twice a year - When I invite myself. Usually I do the grilling :)
  • carpetman
    Options
    Tried both views - No pictures. I can see them sometimes and sometimes not! Frustrating I might add. :evil:
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    This is the "old-school" Car Wash Mike method, with a twist.

fathers_day_burger1_web.jpg

Good luck,

TRex
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Carpetman,

Try going to home click forums and don't click wide view.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Best burger I have ever eaten and there's an In and Out joint right down the street,supposedly the best in the country.Well maybe it used to be.Start with 80/20 burger,90/10 is no good,make approx 1/2 lb patties I mix in a little Webers Chicago Steak rub,coat with Frenches yellow mustard put more Chicago steak rub.I letr them set in the fridge for an hour or so.Cook direct on raised grate @ 450F 5 min per side ,don't smash the juice out of them, close both vents for 10 min.They are the best.
    If he asks for ketchup or mustard just go ahead and shoot him cause there is no hope.

Jim
  • carpetman
    Options
    Thaks for the eggcellent advise. I will try these and No Ketcup or Mustard.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    CWM and Bente,

What does the hole in the center do and is it all the way through? Let the juice out the bottom or give it a place to collect?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    It keeps the burger from swelling up in the middle. Basically cooking it more consistently. Yes all the way threw.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    It keeps the burger from swelling up in the middle. Basically cooking it more consistently. Yes all the way threw.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks for your post, brought back something from the grillin days.

Haven't done these for a long time. These are for taste & and they are not diet.

Get the ground with as much fat as you can find, don't exceed 35%.

Add worcestershire a good amount to the ground. If you want fat burgers then make your patties about 1/2 " over the size of your buns and about 1/4 to 3/8" thick (you will need 2 for each burger.

Season each pattie both sides in this order S&P, onion powder, garlic powder, very light cumin (out sides only) and a lot of paprika. If you want a little heat then add some red peper flakes to the inside of one pattie per burger. (grind up the flakes to make them smaller). You could also use some cayenne. (I don't like both unless it is real light) If you don't like some of the types of seasoning, leave it out.

Get 1 or 2 of your favorite cheeses (glue cheese works great here). put the grated cheese or blue chese in one pattie for each burger keeping inside the edge by about 1/2" Put the top pattie. Carefully make a good seal arount the top & bottom pattie.

Final form your patty leaving a small indent (top and bottom) in the center moving outward to the edge of the pattie.

You are ready to cook. One could TRex style this but you would have to be careful. If timid then grate temp of about 350° and begin cooking. Watch for flare up as there is a lot fo fat in the meat. Each side of the burger is not all that thick so cooking really isn't all that long of a process.

Don't press the burgers as all that moisture is just waiting to be devoured. I cook mine medium rare to a light medium.

Have ready anything else you want to dress up the burger with and some napkins.

We use a mix of mayo and mustard (a yellowish color) mix. Sometimes we add sourcream to mayo ( pretty good white sauce). A1, Heinz 57 just about anything.

The flavor is inside the burger so don't dround them.

Great burders .. Enjoy

GG
  • carpetman
    Options
    That was perfect. Lessons learned are great. Thanks
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    this is more of a meatloaf recipe for sandwiches. i wouldnt use the ground chicken again as i like it a little more towards medium
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/192205.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it