Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It Is On!

Options
Cory430
Cory430 Posts: 1,073
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just threw the butts on for my work party. It would appear that 22lbs O'pig is about all that my medium can handle. Thank you jlockhart for asking about this earlier in the week as I would not have been able to fit everything without standing the butts up with skewers. I will sneak in a pic here in a bit after the egg stabilizes back up to 230.

The advice here has been invaluable,
Cory

P.S. Mike in Abita, your gift is being put to the test tonight!

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Man I hope yours comes out as well as mine did. We been eating on it all night and still half of our sack left. My shift is paid up and the next one will be hear soon. Ching! B) There sack is waiting. If you can get them all in innatially they will shrink down fairly quick. As long as you load up the medium it will last 18 or more hrs easly. Be sure and look down top to make sure thermometer not touching meat if not using Q or remote. Hear is last thread on my cook with times and temps. Let me hear about it. http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=408517&catid=1
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Cory, 230 will cook it but it will be between 5 and 10 tonight before 190 pluse I would think. My advradge temp was 250 with 16 lbs of pig and took nearly 16 hrs. Just thought.
  • Cory430
    Options
    I plan to kick the temp up around 9am or so to about 265. I am shooting to be done around 1430 to 1600. The medium is flat loaded to the gills. I am hoping to be in bed around 0200 until about 0500 or so as I dont have a guru to let me sleep easy. Your posts earlier this week have been invaluable. Thanks!
    Cory
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Going to be cutting it close on the 1600 if that soon I'm afraid. Folks with a lot more experance than me will chim in later. Thank I would crank it up to that 265 degree around 06:00 and keep it there. You got a lot of pig there! ;) If it does come off alittle earler just foil/wrap and chest it. Just some thoughts. Good night Cory. Porking dreams! I'll remain on watch till around 05:00 cst.
  • Cory430
    Options
    It is not going to be served until Friday so if it runs late, it will not be the end of the world. Here is a quick peek at the set up (CW- I promise not to peek again for 9 more hours :) )

Dinnerfor40002.jpg

Talk to ya'll in a bit...JLOCKHART, please try to check in when you get up tomorrow, I'll catch you up to speed and I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,
    Cory
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Will do. Be following you soon but I will not move till about 13:00 or so. Got graveyards again to night. Peeking very much will cut deep in to the run time on a Medium. Your butt's looking good ! :laugh: ;) Just got home and editing this post but found your old post from yesterday about the prep. That's one of my biggest gripes on this forum is that you can't add to the old post. Well you can but no one will read it! :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Well???!! How did it turn out? Inquiring simple minds want to know. :blink:
  • Cory430
    Options
    One butt is off the egg and the other 2 are pretty close. Tater salad, beans, and slaw are virtually done. The chicken is getting ready to go on. I will post a slew of pics in about 1 hr. So, did ya get a good days sleep?

Cory
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    O yea. Alot better than you did!! What you end up on temps and times? Don't reply hear. Just start a new thread when you get the pics. This one is getting buryed. Hope your working partners appreciat all this. Mine all paid up and tipped me good. Want some stakes or brisket next.They said don't worry about how much. Just do it and we'll pay what ever I want!lol