Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My kind of weekend - BGE to the max

Options
LasVegasMac
LasVegasMac Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friday night: did some baked 'taters. Only reason was to try out the new fire grate - cast iron from Lodge. Not sure I like it. The bottom got real hot - cook method same as I always use for 'taters. So hot that when I went to close the bottom vent, it was HOT! Have never seen that with OEM grate.[p]Saturday night: OEM fire grate reinstalled - 8 lb. BB on at 6:00pm. I have done several of these - always trying to keep temp close to 200, that was a struggle. This time I decided to follow Mr. EGG's comfort range - 240 to 250. Did the chunk-O-pig naked - no rub, no nuthing. Except for chunks of cherry wood. Still getting used to the hang of over night cooks - sleep on the living room floor to make sure I wake up every two hours or so. My son loves it - Monster Jam - Robot Wars (kinda cool, actually!) - then a movie of his choice. This was only the second time where I could have checked into la-la land and not worried about. The temp never went higher than 260 or lower than 240 - for 14 hours. Forgot about the time change and had to rush to meet a friend for a long promised 'help with' thing. Added some more lump - closed the vents a bit and left. Returned home around noon - temp 235 - and removed the chunk. Without a doubt - the best butt I've done. When I picked it up it broke in half. Moist throughout - passed on the fork and 'pulled' with the fingers. Halfway through the 'shred' process the XYL announces, "we can have that for dinner - it smells really good!"[p]Sunday: Waiting it's turn was a 7 lb. rib roast. Hot swap: BB off - rib roast on. That was noon'ish. Around 3:00 pm the XYL returns and politely asks if I could cook her the chicken she just walked in with. Funny, the kids, wife, me - and the neighbors - all prefer the chicken done on the BGE! Plenty of room to add the chicken parts. They were done first, pulled the rib roast off at internal temp of 190 - still setting on the stove to cool down. Time now 9:00 pm - too freaking bad I have to do the work thing in the AM. I'm ready - the BGE is ready - let's COOK!!![p]Ok, sorry for the long version - just felt good - great! - to be playing a tune on the BGE for most of the weekend.[p]Too bad the work thing gets in the way of the really important tasks in life!! :)[p]Hope all had a good weekend![p]LVM

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    LasVegasMac, sounds great to me! on saturday we had babybacks covered in the goop did they 3.5 hours over the plate setter then went direct for another 1.5 hours spritzing with apple cider and then adding some sauce these were fantastic! today we had a 6.5 lg beast of a chicken butterflied of course the fire started to start to flare and thus burn the skin so i put it on indirect on a platesetter for 15-20 mins at 400 fionished the cook then on direct untill the bird was done...again fantastic! i love this egg thing and the weather made the food taste that much better cant wait untill next weekend!

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    The weather is the poop, A ?[p]This was the weekend when the BGE bug caught up and bit hard. Such bad luck![p]We need to get together sometime. Send e-mail and perhaps we can do an eye-ball.[p]LVM